For all Commercial, Multi-Family and Industrial building projects inside the city limits of Winston-Salem (excluding WS/FC Schools), the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Building Inspections Division will forward a set of construction plans to the Winston-Salem Fire Department for review. After review of the plans, the plan reviewer will call the contact person, indicated on the plans, to discuss Fire Code requirements for the project. A DO Comply/DO NOT Comply comment letter will then be faxed or e-mailed to the contact person. If plans DO Comply, work may begin. If plans DO NOT comply, the reasons will be listed and a re-submittal of the plans will be required.. A building permit will not be signed off, by this office, if further information or a re-submittal of the plans is required. Re-submittals may be sent to the Fire Department electronically at: email@example.com.
Upon approval of the plans, an approval letter will be issued for the installation of the particular system. When requesting a final inspection from the Winston-Salem Fire Department, you must submit the Statement of Compliance prior to any inspection being scheduled. If there are multiple fire protection systems being installed at the same location, the final inspection may be held until all trades have completed their installations so that this office may conduct one inspection.
Please contact our office at (336) 734-1290, to request an inspection or if you should have questions regarding these requirements.
Statement of Compliance
Section 901.2.1 of the North Carolina State Fire Prevention Code states the following:
“Before requesting final approval of the installation, where required by the Code Official, the installing contractor shall furnish a written statement to the Code Official that the subject fire protection system has been installed in accordance with approved plans and has been tested in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and the appropriate installation standard. Any deviation from the design standards shall be noted and copies of the approvals for such deviations shall be attached to the written statement.”
The above-referenced Statement of Compliance shall be furnished to the Winston-Salem Fire Department upon request for a final inspection of any fire protection system installation. This Statement of Compliance shall be on the installing companies’ letterhead with the project name and address clearly indicated along with the type of fire protection system installed. The installer shall print their name and sign their name to this Statement of Compliance.
Additional certifications or information may be required at the final inspection, such as the record of completion forms for fire alarm systems.
FIRE ALARM SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS
The following information must be submitted to and approved by the Winston-Salem Fire Department prior to any installation per section 901.2 and 907.1.1 of the North Carolina State Fire Prevention Code and the Winston-Salem Fire Marshal’s Office:
Angela Sowell, Deputy Fire Marshal 336-747-6935 office
firstname.lastname@example.org 336-773-7974 fax
Submit ONE set of plans to email@example.com or mail to:
Winston-Salem Fire Department Plans Review
Bryce A. Stuart Municipal Building (formerly ‘City Hall South’)
100 East First Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
- Provide a cover letter with the following information:
- Project name and complete project address
- Installation Company name and address
- Contact Name, Phone number, and Fax number
- W-S Building Permit Number (if applicable)
- Payment of the plan review fee of $120.00. Payment may be made on the web at www.cityofwsfire.org with VISA, MasterCard or Discover debit or credit card. If paying by check, checks must be made payable to “City of Winston-Salem.”
- FIRE ALARM PLANS MUST HAVE A PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER SEAL PER G.S 89C. NOTE: Professional Engineer– A person who has been duly licensed as a professional engineer.
- A scaled, sealed and detailed floor plan with the system designer indicated and the date of design. The preferable scale is 1/8 inch and the scale must be clearly indicated on the plans. An elevation view must also be included.
- The locations of all the initiating and notification devices must be clearly indicated along with the candela rating of all strobes.
- Details of ceiling height and construction.
- Alarm control/panel location.
- Annunciation of the system and location of annunciation panel.
- Power connection; electrical breaker controlling the alarm panel must be equipped with a breaker lock.
- Battery and voltage drop calculations for the entire system. The total number and amperage of the batteries to be utilized must be clearly indicated.
- Electrical wiring diagram, type and size.
- Manufacturers, model numbers, and listing information for all the equipment, devices, and materials to be installed.
- The interface of all fire safety control functions.
- The following is an example of a check off list that should be submitted with fire alarm plans.
For your convenience, we have included a link to an interactive informational form [pdf]. E-mail it along with your plan to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Codes used in the review process:
North Carolina State Fire Prevention
North Carolina State Building
North Carolina State Accessibility
Applicable National Fire Protection Association Standards
NOTE – Additional information may be required prior to approval of the submitted plans. The above requested information is not all-inclusive.
Return to the General Plan Review Requirements and Checklists Web page.