The following recommendations are among those included in the Northwest Winston-Salem Area Plan Update:
- Redevelop the 25.5-acre site located on the south side of Coliseum Drive on the eastern edge of the planning area with a mixture of uses that includes residential, commercial, and office in a well-designed development that connects streets, transit, and pedestrian facilities.
- If the Crossnore School and Children’s Home site is offered for sale in the future, cluster new development as a means of preserving the natural beauty of the area. The City should investigate using a portion of the site for recreation facilities and/or open space, and construct a public greenway through the property.
- Investigate using public art to beautify the railroad overpasses at Reynolda Road and North Hawthorne Road.
- Complete key projects proposed by the Wake Forest University Area Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Transit Study.
- Consider pedestrian improvements to the Five Points intersection.
- Construct new greenways in accordance with the plan recommendations.
- Implement proposals for sidewalks on identified roads.
- Implement proposals for road improvements to accommodate bicycles.
- Manage development pressures to preserve environmentally-sensitive areas, forested areas, wildlife habitats, agricultural lands and scenic areas.