Shopping during the holiday season can present unique danger. The holiday season is a time when busy people become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. Taking a few prevention measures can help protect your safety and keep your holiday season joyous.
- Shopping with a friend or family member can lessen your chance of being attacked.
- Be aware of your surroundings and walk confidently to your car with your keys out.
- Park in well-lit areas and always lock your car.
- Condense your packages to make it create the illusion that you did not purchase as much.
- Carry your purse close to your body. Keep wallets in front pockets or inside coat.
- Try to shop when the mall is less crowded.
- Teach your children what to do in the event they are lost. Advise them to look for a trusted adult.
- After the holidays, don't leave empty boxes for new electronic items in plain view.
- Update or create a home inventory of all your valuables, in the event the items are stolen.
If you have questions contact the Winston-Salem Police Department's Community Resource Unit at 336-773-7835.
More helpful tips and resources