Jump to: Project Updates | Project Details | About Hanes Park | Questions & Comments
Hanes Park will be undergoing extensive renovations throughout all areas of the park for the remainder of 2018. This page will be updated with any work that impacts surrounding neighborhoods, including street, sidewalk or parking closures.
The playground will stay open during this project. Please stay out of construction areas for your own safety.
Week of October 22-29: There are no current street or sidewalk closings for this week.
The main parking lot is now open for all park users. The softball field is currently under construction for the next several weeks. The playground and tennis courts are open for park users. Please be careful of construction areas for your own safety.
- Remove existing Japanese Maple and plant material at main entrance and replace entry island with new landscape
- Repair existing wall and replace damaged or missing stones in existing entry wall
- Replace existing concrete steps and concrete pavement at entry walls
- Add new bollards in the sidewalk along front for safety
- Add stone based water fountain, new stone seat wall and trash receptacles near playground
- Add concrete walkway connection from West End Blvd. intersection with Clover Street to playground
- Renovate walking surface of Maple Alley by removing existing granite screenings and installing sand stone walking surface
- Grade the area around the tennis courts to address existing drainage issues
- Install new pedestrian light fixture to match the existing light fixtures on the entry columns
- Remove old vines and shrubbery and enhance the area with new landscaping such as understory trees and shrubs that are complimentary of native landscapes in a natural setting
- Remove existing parking lot and add new heavy duty asphalt parking lot with landscape, new granite curbing, and landscape islands
- Remove existing Port-a-John
- Remove existing metal bleachers
- Build new stone seat walls for viewing within the existing hillside
- Renovate existing worn paths and replace with new sandstone and mulch pathways
- Widen concrete entrance to new parking lot
- Install new pedestrian light fixture near parking lot
- Add pedestrian crosswalk
- Enhance the area with new native landscape
- Consolidate two softball fields into one and shift to southeast corner of the stone wall seating area
- Add new dugouts with stone seat walls and shade structure
- Replace existing wood benches with new benches
- Add two new stone/concrete staircases (to match existing stone) to green space to minimize cut through traffic on hillside adjacent to Sunset Drive
- Add concrete landings at the base of each staircase
- Add new 15' x 12' stone equipment building
- Add new trash receptacles
- Install new pedestrian light fixtures
- Install new landscaping along Sunset Drive
- Remove existing trees, stumps and roots
- Stabilize slopes with ground cover (per West End Design Guideline approved plant list)
About Hanes Park
Hanes Park is one of Winston-Salem's most beloved parks and is easily accessible to residents in the West End, West Highlands, Downtown, Ardmore, and Buena Vista neighborhoods. Planned in 1890, the park is used by a diverse group of people, including families, young adults, students, seniors, pet owners, bird watchers and nature lovers.