The Fairgrounds Farmers Market Now Accepts SNAP EBT Cards!
Use your SNAP benefits to buy fresh fruits, vegetables and local meat and dairy products.
Open year-round every Saturday, 6 a.m. - 1 p.m.
How it Works
1. Go to the office at the Fairgrounds Farmer's Market.
2. Tell the market manager how much you think you will spend at the market.
3. The market manager will swipe your EBT card for that amount and give you the equal value in tokens. ($1 = one token; $10 = 10 tokens) along with a receipt.
4. Use your tokens to buy SNAP-eligible products from vendors at the market.
5. Keep any leftover tokens to use the next time you’re at the Fairgrounds Farmers Market, or bring your receipt with the tokens back to the office and have the amount put back on your EBT card.
(Soon: See a diagram of the office location in this space.)
Because of federal SNAP guidelines, vendors are not allowed to give change for purchases made entirely with tokens. Vendors CAN give change for purchases made partly with cash.
EXAMPLE: The tomatoes you want to buy cost $2.80
1. You give the vendor three tokens (worth $3). The vendor cannot give change.
2. You give the vendor two tokens (worth $2) plus a one dollar bill. The vendor gives you 20 cents change.
3. You give the vendor two tokens plus 80 cents in change. No change required.
Is there any limit to the number of tokens I can get with my SNAP EBT card?
The only limit is the balance on your EBT card.
I didn't spend all my tokens. Can I get my money back?
Yes. Go to the Fairgrounds Farmers Market office with your unspent tokens and the receipt you received when your card was swiped. Turn in your unspent tokens and their value will be put back on your EBT card. NOTE: You MUST have your receipt to have the value of unspent tokens put back on your EBT card.
Do the tokens ever expire?
No. If you have leftover tokens you can keep them, if you want, and use them the next time you come to the Fairgrounds Farmers Market.
If I run out of tokens while I'm at the Fairgrounds Farmers Market, can I get more?
Yes, as long as you still have a balance on your EBT card. Just return to the office and have your card swiped a second time.
Can I use these tokens at the grocery store?
No. The tokens can only be used at the Fairgrounds Famers Market.
Can I use my tokens at other farmers markets that accept SNAP EBT cards?
No. The tokens you get at the Fairgrounds Farmers Market can only be used at the Fairgrounds Famers Market.
Can I use a debit or credit card to get tokens?
No. The token system is set up only to accept SNAP EBT cards.
My purchase from a vendor includes both SNAP-approved items and items that are not approved for SNAP. Can I use my tokens?
You can use tokens only to pay for those items that are approved for purchase with SNAP EBT cards. You must use cash to pay for any items from the same vendor that are not approved for SNAP.
Are there any other limitations on what I can buy with SNAP tokens at the Fairgrounds Farmers Market?
You cannot use tokens to buy food or drinks intended to be consumed on the spot. This is in keeping with federal SNAP guidelines that do not allow SNAP benefits to be used at restaurants.
What can you buy at the Fairgrounds Farmers Market with SNAP benefits?
You can use SNAP benefits at the Fairgrounds Farmers Market to buy anything that you are allowed to buy at a grocery store:
- Dairy products
- Bakery products packaged to be taken home
- Plants or seeds of plants that produce food (such as tomato or pepper plants, but NOT flower seeds or bird seeds)
SNAP benefits cannot be used to buy:
- Any nonfood item, such as pet foods; soaps, hand-knit scarves or other handicrafts, household supplies; grooming items, toothpaste, and cosmetics
- Vitamins and medicines, including essential oils
- Any food intended to be eaten in the farmers market
- Hot foods