Risk Management - June 22, 2018
City departments and facilities received 42 gold and seven silver awards in the N.C. Department of Labor's annual safety awards program. The awards recognized city departments or city facilities with 10 or more employees that achieved and maintained good safety records during 2017, and maintained accurate records for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
To qualify for an annual safety award, a city department or facility must have had no fatalities during the calendar year at the site or location for which the award was given and have maintained an injury and illness rate at least 50 percent below the national average for its particular industry group.
Gold awards are based on the DART rate, a standardized calculation used by OSHA and other regulatory agencies to compare statistically significant data. DART stands for Days Away, Restrictions and Transfers, and is a measure of injury and illness per 200,000 work hours for 100 full-time equivalent employees. It measures days lost as well as days a worker is on restricted duty or transferred to other duties because of an injury or work-related illness.
Silver awards are based on the CDAW rate. CDAW stands for injury and illness Cases with Days Away from Work, but does not include restricted activity.
Nick Webster, the city's risk manager, said, "These awards show a commitment to safety that goes beyond individual employees and departments and demonstrates our ongoing commitment to growing and maintaining a thriving safety culture. I'm very proud of the employees at the winning locations, as well as my staff for the hard work they’ve done to earn these well-deserved awards."
Receiving gold awards were:
- Bolton Street Pool and Park, 1590 Bolton St.
- Bryce A. Stuart Municipal Building, 100 E. First St.
- City Hall, 101 N. Main St.
- Community Development Department, 100 E. First St. Suite 423
- DOT Parking Deck Operations, 100 E. First St. Suite 307
- Elledge Wastewater Treatment Plant, 2801 Griffith Road
- Engineering Field Office, 1225 E. Fifth St.
- Fire Station 1, 652 Marshall St.
- Fire Station 3, 2995 N. Liberty St.
- Fire Station 5, 771 Palmer Lane
- Fire Station 6, 1717 W. Academy St.
- Fire Station 8, 2417 Reynolda Road
- Fire Station 11, 2745 Waughtown St.
- Fire Station 12, 3620 New Walkertown Road
- Fire Station 14, 5754 Shattalon Drive
- Fire Station 15, 4548 Shattalon Drive
- Fire Station 16, 1701 Pope Road
- Fire Station 17, 4295 Old Greensboro Road
- Fire Station 18, 1505 N. Peace Haven Road
- Fire Station 19, 4430 Glenn Hi Road
- Fire Station 20, 1305 Rural Hall-Bethania Station Road
- Fleet Services, 650 Stadium Drive, Bldg. #3
- Hanes Mill Road Landfill, 325 Hanes Mill Road
- Historic Bethabara Park, 2147 Bethabara Road
- Manson Meads Complex, 2799 Griffith Road
- Miller Park Recreation Center, 400 Leisure Lane
- Muddy Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant, 4561 Cooper Road
- Neilson Water Treatment Plant, 5725 Frye Bridge Road
- Police District 1 Station, 7836 North Point Blvd.
- Police District 2 Station, 1539 Waughtown St.
- Police District 3 Station, 2393 Winterhaven Lane
- Police Special Operations Division, 121 Polo Road
- Polo Park Recreation Center and Pool, 1850 Polo Road
- Property Maintenance, 650 Rams Drive, Bldg. #3
- Sprague Street Recreation Center and Pool, 1350 E. Sprague St.
- South Fork Recreation Center, 4403 County Club Road
- Swann Water Treatment Plant, 2800 River Ridge Road
- Thomas Water Treatment Plant, 1201 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- Utilities Meter Shop, 1410 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- William Roscoe Anderson Jr. Recreation Center, 2450 Reynolds Park Road
- Winston Lake Golf Course, 3535 Winston Lake Road
- Winston-Salem Fairgrounds, 421 W. 27th St.
Receiving silver awards were:
- Black-Phillips-Smith Government Center, 2301 N. Patterson Ave.
- Fire Station 2, 405 Somerset Drive
- Fire Station 4, 290 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- Fire Station 10, 4700 Country Club Road
- Public Safety Center, 725 N. Cherry St.
- Sanitation Services, 2000 Lowery St.
- Streets Division, 650 Stadium Drive, Bldg. #23