As city attorney, Angela Carmon serves as the chief legal counsel to the City Council, the mayor, and the city staff. She oversees the city legal staff in negotiating and reviewing contracts, drafting ordinances and legislation, representing the city in state and federal courts, and advising the city on federal and state regulations, bond financing, and other issues as requested.
City Attorney Staff and Areas
City Attorney’s Summer 2015 Internship
The City of Winston-Salem is offering an unpaid summer legal internship in the City Attorney’s Office. The internship is designed to provide invaluable work experience in a municipal law office which experience will involve conducting legal research, drafting memos, pleadings, ordinances and resolutions under the supervision of staff attorneys and attending various city related meetings, when necessary.
- Currently enrolled in law school
- Must have completed first year of law school by the end of the school year in May 2015 with strong academic credentials
- Successful completion of legal research and writing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer proficiency with common office software (including Microsoft Office and Westlaw)
- Strong problem solving skills, resourceful and well organized
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and ability to multi-task
Summer 2015 (start May/June 2015)
Work hours subject to change, but generally Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Deadline to apply is Feb. 27, 2015.
All applications must be received by the Human Resources Department by the close of business on Friday, February 27, 2015.
Complete the City of Winston-Salem Internship/Volunteer Application and submit resume to the Human Resources Department via US Mail, E-mail, or fax.
Application [pdf] to download or print, complete, and submit via email, US Mail, or fax.
Mail: 100 East First Street, Winston-Salem, N.C. 27101
Fax: (336) 748-3053.
If there are questions, please contact Angela I. Carmon, City Attorney at 747-7404 or Alan Andrews, Deputy City Attorney at 747-7401.