The South Ward spans our city's history, taking in both its oldest and newest neighborhoods.
Council Member John Larson represents South Ward on the City Council.
The South Ward contains the city's historic heart, the restored Moravia congregation town of Salem, founded in 1767. The reconstructed town is now one of the largest tourist attractions in the state. Many local people are employed recreating the past to educate today's visitors. Some of the original commerce of the Moravians continues in the restored shops.
But Salem is not just a museum. People still live here, and the continuing success of Salem College & Academy, overlooking the square, gives the restoration a distinctly youthful flavor.
The ward's boundaries include the tract bought from the Moravians for a county seat when Forsyth County was established in 1849.
The current City Hall, built in 1926, was the largest city government building in North Carolina when it was completed. In 2003 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Across the street is the Bryce A. Stuart Municipal Building, which houses the city payment center along with Inspections, Planning and most of the other city departments that do business with citizens.
The Hall of Justice houses state courts. Across Main Street is the Federal Building with U.S. Government services and the Federal courts.
The strollway, a city project completed in 1990, runs between Old Salem and the South Marshall area. It enters south ward under business 40, winds past modern buildings and refurbished offices past renovated private homes that overlook Old Salem and down to the Old Salem Visitors Center. Downtown workers use the strollway for a lunchtime walk and residents use it for biking and jogging.
Another popular draw is the Children's Museum, a 75th anniversary project of the Winston-Salem Junior League that opened in 2004.
Using a combination of city and private funds, the South Marshall plan turned a dilapidated neighborhood into a showplace of upscale condominiums and town houses.
One end of this stretch is anchored by the Brookstown Mill, an old textile mill converted into a bed and breakfast inn, and Tar Branch Towers, an upscale condominium building that includes the Chancellor's residence for the UNC School of the Arts.
The other end has the Southeast Gateway, once a mishmash of old industrial buildings that is now being replaced by condominiums and a new YWCA. Family Services and the Enrichment Center also can be found here.
The University of North Carolina School of the Arts, built on the site of old Gray High School, is unique not only for Winston-Salem, but as part of the State University System as well. With a student body of more than 11 hundred high school and college students, it specializes in training for the performing, visual, and cinematic arts. Many former students make their living on Broadway or in Hollywood. Not only are the future stars trained here, but technical aspects such as staging, lighting and directing are taught as well.
The film school facilities were designed to double as a back lot for students productions. Its Moving Image Archive, with almost 30,000 holdings, is the fifth-largest non-commercial film archive in the country.
On the high ground rising south of Old Salem and the Southeast gateway is the historic Washington Park neighborhood, designed in 1906 by Colonel Joseph Ludlow, the city's first engineer, and filled with magnificent older homes.
The vintage homes of the West Salem neighborhood comprise the ward's third historic district and reflect its 19th century origin as a bedroom community for the growing town of Salem in the years after the Civil War.
Serving the residents of these and other neighborhoods in the South ward are Griffith , Konnoak and Latham Elementary Schools, Philo Middle School and Parkland High School and Griffith Academy.
The City's commitment to recreation is shown in some of the city's oldest neighborhood recreation areas...Washington Park and Granville Park. Washington Park is home to the city's dog park. Residents come here from all over the city to let their dogs run free.
Other recreation facilities in the South Ward include Parkland Pool and the Georgia Taylor Recreation Center.
Modern commerce is represented by the hustle and bustle of businesses and restaurants on Peter's Creek and Silas Creek Parkways. At one time, Silas Creek Parkway defined the southern end of this business district. Now, it stretches all the way down to the city limits at the Davidson County line.
The Walmart here is unique for its two installations of public art, the result of a collaboration between Walmart, the city and the Arts Council of Winston-Salem.
Spurring all this commercial growth has been a explosion of residential development along Old Salisbury, Darwick and West Clemmonsville roads.
Griffith Road, west of the Hanes Mall Boulevard area, is another hot spot for residential development.
Historic neighborhood, shopping, entertainment, education and home. This is the South Ward.