The City of Winston-Salem is offering unpaid internships to assist the Mayor and City Council in their role as elected officials for its citizens.
Internships are designed to:
- Provide an opportunity for elected officials to mentor future leaders for the City
- Provide students with valuable professional public service experience that will enhance their skills, competencies and classroom experience
- Give students an opportunity to learn first-hand how city government works
- Provide city council with additional staff support
- Provide work experience that applies towards college credit if approved by academic advisor
Each Intern works under the close supervision of Mayor or Council Member.
Responsibilities may include duties as assigned by the mayor or individual city council member, including:
- General administrative tasks;
- Answering and responding to constituent calls;
- Staff support
- Providing research assistance on specific topics or projects;
- Gathering requested information from city departments;
- Attending community meetings and events.
Interns may also be invited to attend city council and other city related meetings.
- Irregular, but flexible work hours of up to 20 hours per week as determined by Mayor or Council Member
- Professional business attire
- Business cards provided at request of elected official
- Use of elected official office space, desktop computer, and desk phone in City Hall as authorized by the elected official.
- Compliance with the City of Winston-Salem Ethics Policy and applicable policies outlined in the City Employee Handbook
- All work is subject to Public Records Rules and Regulations
- Partisan political activity is strictly prohibited
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student at a college or university
- Permanent or temporary residency in Forsyth County
- Have an interest in city government and public service
- Possess excellent customer service skills
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Possess self motivation and initiative
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Must provide own transportation. Authorized travel will be reimbursed at the standard IRS rate from Elected Officials’ travel budget
Complete the Application for Internship/Volunteer for Elected Officials and submit with resumé to the Human Resources Department via US Mail, E-mail, or fax: 100 East First Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101; E-mail: HRRECRUITER@CITYOFWS.ORG; Fax: (336)748-3053.
Applicants may request internship opportunities with specific elected officials, but is not guaranteed. Successful applicants are subject to the standard City of Winston-Salem employee background check.
Interns will not be guaranteed or entitled to a job with the City of Winston-Salem at the completion of the internship.
If you wish to apply, please fill out, print, sign, and send in this application and waiver[pdf/116k/3p]
For more information, please call (336)747-6807.