Vivian H. Burke
Democrat, Northeast Ward
Lighting Ordinance Meetings
View lighting ordinance draft [pdf/3p]
The Planning and Development Services staff has developed a draft lighting ordinance for Winston-Salem and Forsyth County at the direction of the City-County Planning Board. If adopted, this ordinance would address the issue of light trespass and would reduce glare for new development and recreational uses, such as athletic fields. The Planning Board will consider the ordinance and hold a public hearing during their July 12 meeting.
After considering citizen input gathered at two public meetings and via an online survey, the Planning Board has made several changes to the draft ordinance. A new version incorporating those changes is attached.
We believe the following changes improve the clarity of the ordinance and make it better tailored for our community:
- A definitions section has been added.
- Exemptions for aviation lights and temporary lighting have been added.
- The ordinance now includes standards for Historic and Historic Overlay districts.
- Language has been added that applies specifically to LED fixtures in addition to conventional light fixtures.
- Standards for pedestrian-scale pole lighting have been removed and a restriction on non-shielded wall packs has been added.
- The section for lighting for outdoor recreation uses has been restructured to add clarity.
- The maximum candela permitted at a distance of 150 feet from the edge of an athletic field has been changed from 5,000 to 7,500, which is in line with professional lighting standards.
- An exemption has been added for existing outdoor recreation uses to allow for the replacement of lighting systems with conventional fixtures.
The Planning Board Public Hearing on the ordinance will take place at the Planning Board meeting on Thursday, July 12, 2018, starting at 4:30 p.m. in the Fifth Floor Public Meeting Room of the Bryce Stuart Municipal Building, 100 East First Street, Winston-Salem.
As your council member, I will voice your concerns and opinions as well as fight for the well-being of citizens of the Northeast Ward and the City of Winston-Salem. Therefore, I would like to hear from you so that I can better serve our community. Read more about Vivian.
Northeast Ward is generally bounded by Patterson Avenue on the west, the city limits on the north, and Fourteenth Street, Sixteenth Street, Bowen Boulevard and New Walkertown Road. Read more about the Northeast Ward.
A Community Assistance Liaison is assigned to each ward and is available to help citizens solve problems and get answers. Read more about the Community Assistance Liaisons.