Effective July 1, 2015, most businesses operating in the city limits of Winston-Salem will no longer be required to renew their Business License. Exceptions to this rule are beer and wine, Taxi/Limousine, Panhandler, and Door to Door Solicitor privilege license holders. License renewal forms will be processed in the next few weeks. Renewal applications and payment may be made in person or through mail by the specified renewal date found on your application.
If you have any questions, please contact our Business License staff at (336) 747-6954 for assistance.
- Retail merchants are required by the State of North Carolina to obtain sales/use tax identification numbers. Call (336) 896-7024
- Businesses selling alcoholic beverages need to obtain certain licenses/permits through the ABC Commission before applying for a City of Winston-Salem license. Visit two locations in Winston-Salem: 2301 N. Patterson Ave. (336) 761-2246 or 3127 Starlight Drive (336) 788-7141.
- A business that may have to meet health regulations should contact the Environmental Health Division at (336) 703-3225.
- Car dealerships should contact DMV Enforcement for information about dealer tags. Call (336) 761-2286
- Day care facilities should contact the North Carolina Child Development office at (919) 662-4527.
- A business that has three or more individuals working for it should contact the NC Industrial Commission at (919) 733-4820 concerning workers´compensation.
Finance Department Business License staff page