Effective July 1, 2014, any business physically located in Winston-Salem is required to have a license. Exceptions are nonprofit organizations and/or businesses exempt under General State Statutes.
Call (336) 747-6954 for more information about business licenses.
- Retail merchants are required by the State of North Carolina to obtain sales/use tax identification numbers. Call (336) 896-7024
- Businesses selling alcoholic beverages need to obtain certain licenses/permits through the ABC Commission before applying for a City of Winston-Salem license. Visit two locations in Winston-Salem: 2301 N. Patterson Ave. (336) 761-2246 or 3127 Starlight Drive (336) 788-7141.
- A business that may have to meet health regulations should contact the Environmental Health Division at (336) 703-3225.
- Car dealerships should contact DMV Enforcement for information about dealer tags. Call (336) 761-2286
- Day care facilities should contact the North Carolina Child Development office at (919) 662-4527.
- A business that has three or more individuals working for it should contact the NC Industrial Commission at (919) 733-4820 concerning workers´compensation.
Finance Department Business License staff page