"224 Years of Fire Service History"
The Winston-Salem Fire Department serves the community by providing a timely response to calls for assistance involving fire, emergency medical situations, and incidents necessitating rescue. In addition, the department strives for the prevention of unwanted fires through code enforcement, education, and arson investigation activities. Early warning and suppression systems, such as fire alarms and residential sprinkler systems, are a first line of defense in preventing the loss of life and mitigating property damage.
Winston-Salem Smoke Detector Program
Almost one in every five fires occurs in a building without a working smoke detector. Most fatal fires occur at night, when you and your family are asleep. Smoke alarms are designed to wake you up (with a loud noise) if a fire starts. Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they are installed and properly working and maintained!
Winston-Salem housing code requires smoke detectors in all bedrooms and sleeping areas, and on every level of a house.
- Test your alarm monthly.
- Change the batteries at least once a year.
- Replace the smoke alarm every 10 years.
The Winston-Salem Smoke Detector Program will install free smoke alarms for qualified homeowners in an effort to reduce fatal fires in Winston-Salem.
- Elderly, on fixed income, or handicapped.
- Live inside the Winston-Salem city limits.
- Own and occupy own home.
- You will also need a photo ID and an electric bill or water bill in the homeowner's name.
Contact the Fire Department's Senior Community Educator at 773-7965 to apply or for more information, or call City Link at 311 or 727-8000.
Flier with details and to print (both sides of the document show on one page) [pdf/1p]
Winston-Salem Fire Department participates in "Heat and Eat" program to promote safety
The Winston-Salem Fire Department application process is now (Closed)
- WSFD Quick Facts
- FY12 Number of calls = 27,180
- FY12 Number of fire calls= 877
- FY12 Number of EMS/Rescue calls = 19,284
- FY12 Number of other calls (False Alarm, Hazardous Conditions, General Service calls, etc.) = 7,019
- FY12 Number of total employees = 344