Re-Inspections and Requesting an Extension
In many cases, 10 business days may not provide enough time to correct a fire code violation. In the event that you are willing to correct the violation and need more time, you may request an extension.
- Your request must be in writing and addressed to the Fire Marshal.
- You must explain why you are requesting the extension and how much time you need to correct the violation(s).
- You must provide the information on any violation(s) that you have already corrected.
- You may fax your request to (336) 773-7974; however, we recommend that you follow your fax with a hard copy mailed to the fire marshal at:
Winston-Salem Fire Department
P. O. Box 2511, Winston-Salem, NC 27102
- Plan ahead. Do not wait until the day before the re-inspection date to request an extension. Submit your request at least five days prior to your re-inspection date.
- Follow-up your fax or letter to the fire marshal with a telephone call two to three days after your request, at (336) 773-7972.
General Guidelines for Erecting Tents
If you are considering using a tent or a large canopy, you must follow these guidelines in accordance with the North Carolina Fire Prevention Codes and other applicable codes:
- Tents larger than 200 square feet and canopies over 400 square feet will require the following from the Fire Marshal's Office:
a. A tent application form must be completed.
b. The tent permit application fee must be paid.
c. An inspection must be scheduled and conducted by the Fire Marshal's Office
- All applications must be made and/or submitted through the Winston-Salem Fire Marshall's Office.
- A zoning permit is required from Building Inspections.
- Other permits and/or inspections may be required based upon use of the tent(s). Examples could include an electrical permit for lighting and other power supplied to the tent, or a mechanical permit for heating, cooling and/or cooking.
- These general Fire and Life Safety Requirements based on the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code must be followed:
a. Exit sign(s) must be illuminated
b. Emergency light(s)
c. Provide Certification of Flame Resistance
d. Portable fire extinguisher(s)
e. Minimum of two exits
f. No Smoking sign(s)
Other requirements may apply based on the use and size of the tent.
- Violation of any of these provisions, additional provisions on the permit itself and/or codes that apply, shall revoke the permit.
- Please contact the Fire Marshal's Office as soon as you are planning to use a tent for your event.
For those unusual last moment occasions, when you are requesting a tent permit and inspection, please contact the Fire Marshal's Office 72 to 48 hours in advance. There are no guaranties that you will gain approval for your event using a tent, so our advice is to plan ahead.
General Guidelines for Fireworks
Pyrotechnics (fireworks) are permitted for both outdoor and indoor use. There are different requirements that affect the storage and discharge of outdoor and indoor pyrotechnics. The following guidelines and requirements are in accordance with the N.C. Fire Prevention Code and the NFPA Standards 1123 (outdoor use) and 1126 (indoor use):
- A permit is required for the storage and discharge of pyrotechnics.
- The permit application fee must be paid.
- A Fire Department standby is required for all outdoor pyrotechnics. A fee may be required.
- A site plan and/or drawing of the proposed areas of all outdoor displays, discharge and fall-out areas must be provided. This site plan must be to scale or indicate the proper dimensions and distances.
- A show description, with the details of the size and type of pyrotechnics being used, must be submitted and approved.
- The proposed site must be inspected.
- Proof of insurance must be provided.
- Violation of any of these provisions, additional provisions attached to the permit, or of any codes that apply, shall revoke the permit.
All applications must be submitted through the Winston-Salem Fire Marshal's Office. Applications for outdoor discharge of fireworks must also be submitted to the City Secretary's Office.
Note: Other requirements may apply based on the event, location, atmospheric conditions, provision of applicable code(s) and the code official.
General Guidelines for Blasting
A blasting permit is required prior to use of any blasting materials. The following guidelines and general requirements apply for the storage, handling and denotation of blasting materials, in accordance with the N.C. Fire Prevention Code:
- A permit application form must be completed.
- The permit application fee must be paid.
- A current insurance certification must be placed on file.
- If explosives are stored on site, they must be stored in an approved magazine with proper clearances.
- All blasting holes must be covered with blasting mats.
- Blasting above ground is prohibited.
- All traffic must be stopped on surrounding streets during blasting.
- Surrounding businesses and residences must be notified about the blasting in advance. Also a pre-blast survey may be required.
- Adequate security must be maintained in and around the blasting site.
- Warning signs must be posted if electric detonators are used.
- Violation of any of these provisions, additional provisions attached to the permit, or of any codes that apply as deemed by the city, shall revoke the permit.
All applications must be made and/or submitted through the Winston-Salem Fire Marshall's Office.
NOTE: Other requirements will apply based on the location, size of the job site, provisions of applicable codes and the code official.
Special requirements apply for security gates and special locking arrangements placed on exit doors. Please call (336) 773-7972 to discuss your specific situation.
False Alarm Ordinance
Fire & Burglar Alarms
Business owners and operators are required to register their fire and burglar alarm systems. Additional information can be obtained by calling the Alarm Systems Coordinator at (336) 773-7886.
Printable Alarm Permit Application [pdf/]
Printable False Alarm Ordinance [pdf/]