Mission: Serve as a conduit between city government and younger constituents. The Youth Advisory Council’s core focus is youth civic engagement by way of community programming and youth-oriented activities; a contribution of at least 40 volunteer hours per school year to government-related initiatives, projects, and programs; the dissemination of information to the community regarding topics that are important and relevant to the youth in our community; and to advise the City Council and the Human Relations Department on matters that relate to the community’s youth population.
Visit for more information on Youth Advisory Council members.
2016-2017 Fall/Winter Newsletter [pdf]
Youth Expression Wall Flier [pdf]
Youth Expression Wall FAQ [pdf]
2017-2018 Youth Advisory Council Members
2017-2018 Youth Advisory Council Officers
Purpose: To provide a venue for youth between the ages of 14-18 to have an active means of civic engagement in local government. General duties will include, but will not necessarily be limited to:
- Actively promoting the participation of the youth in city government programs and activities;
- Promoting positive human relations among all youth;
- Providing channels of communication among all populations;
- Encouraging youth to become better trained and qualified for employment opportunities;
- Performing duties consistent with general law as may be assigned it from time to time by the City Council; and
- Performing such other duties as necessary to enforce the powers assigned to it.
Annual Project: Each year, the Youth Advisory Council selects a project to complete by year end. This year the council is working on Public Service Announcements for youth in Winston-Salem about positive image and positive choices.
Past Annual Projects:
YAC PACKS, bags for Homeless Youth
Gift Bags for children at Brenner's Childrens Hospital
Baskets for Habitat for Humanity Families
Youth Expression Wall
Everyone Matters Day Celebration