Mission: Serve as a conduit between city government and younger constituents. The Youth Advisory Council’s core focus is youth civic engagement by way of community programming and youth-oriented activities; a contribution of at least 40 volunteer hours per school year to government-related initiatives, projects, and programs; the dissemination of information to the community regarding topics that are important and relevant to the youth in our community; and to advise the City Council and the Human Relations Department on matters that relate to the community’s youth population.
Visit for more information on Youth Advisory Council members.
WSYAC hosts State Youth Conference
YAC Members Attend NCLM Youth Summit
Youth Expression Wall Flier [pdf]
Youth Expression Wall FAQ [pdf]
2013-2014 YAC Members
Purpose: To provide a venue for youth between the ages of 14-18 to have an active means of civic engagement in local government. General duties will include, but will not necessarily be limited to:
- Actively promoting the participation of the youth in city government programs and activities;
- Promoting positive human relations among all youth;
- Providing channels of communication among all populations;
- Encouraging youth to become better trained and qualified for employment opportunities;
- Performing duties consistent with general law as may be assigned it from time to time by the City Council; and
- Performing such other duties as necessary to enforce the powers assigned to it.
Annual Project: Each year, the Youth Advisory Council selects a project to complete by year end. This year the council has decided on two annual projects. One is a Community Garden located at Simon Green Acre Gardens and the second project will be delivering gift bags and flowers from the garden to terminally ill children at Brenner's Childrens Hospital.
Check out our garden! Simon Community Gardens
Past Annual Projects:
Baskets for Habitat for Humanity Families
Youth Advisory Council: Youth Expression Wall