(links to external web sites will open in a new window)
On behalf of the City of Winston-Salem, thank you for your years of dedicated service! You can find important retiree information here to keep you up-to-date with your retirement benefits. Please feel free to call our office if you need additional information. We are always here to help!
Human Resources Director
ANNUAL ENROLLMENT PERIOD ANNOUNCED
October 1 - October 22, 2015
Police Retirees click HERE for important Cost of Living Adjustment to your WSPORS benefit.
**Due to the volume of questions, we may not be able to answer each email. Instead, questions will be answered here under Frequently Asked Questions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I have to re-enroll in my benefits each year?
Retirees are encouraged to enroll in benefits during Annual Enrollment, UNLESS you are on the Medicare Advantage (United Health Care) plan. United Health Care participants do not need to make any changes. Blue Cross Blue Shield retirees should enroll each year, but benefits will default to your previous year elections should you fail to do so.
Have we changed carriers this year?
No. Active and retiree benefits are still administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. The retiree Medicare Advantage Supplement Plan is still administered through United Health Care.
Health Risk Assessment
- To receive the $50 wellness discount on your 2015 health insurance premiums, you must have completed the online health risk assessment by February 28 of 2015.
- Go to www.bcbsnc.com and log in:
- If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC insurance card to do so.
- If you forgot your user name or password, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- After logging in, click on WELLNESS at the top and then on HEALTH ASSESSMENT.
- The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete.
LIFESMART WELLNESS PROGRAM
Reminder: Employee Medical Services has moved. The new address is
32 West 32nd Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
LifeSmart Wellness Class Series
Sittercise Exercise Class
Every Tuesday and Thursday (unless noted)
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at South Fork Community Center
- August 4 - Gentle Yoga [pdf/196kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Manson Meads Basement
- August 5 - Disaster Preparedness [pdf/256kb/1p], 1:30 - 2:30 p.m., PSC Auditorium
- August 6 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- August 12 - Dealing with Family Stress [pdf/231kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Employee Development
- August 18 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Manson Meads Basement
- August 19 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 - 12 Noon, PSC Auditorium
- August 19 - Estate Planning [pdf/199kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- August 20 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- August 26 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12 Noon, PSC Auditorium
- August 26 - Managing Work Stress [pdf/231kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., PSC Auditorium
- September 3 - Gentle Yoga [pdf/198kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- September 8 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 Noon, Manson Meads Basement
- September 10 - Fighting Cancer with Your Fork [pdf/185kb/1p], 1:00 -2:00 p.m., Manson Meads
- September 14 - Managing Your Money Workshop [pdf/201kb/1p], 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., PSC Auditorium
- September 15 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 Noon, Manson Meads Basement
- September 16 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 Noon, PSC Auditorium
- September 16 - Conflict Resolution [pdf/231kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- September 17 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- September 23 - Retirement Readiness [pdf/263kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- September 24 - Common Sense Law [pdf/202kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Thomas Water Treatment Plant
- September 30 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 Noon, PSC Auditorium
- September 30 - Self-Care for the Caregiver [pdf/231kb/1p], 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., PSC Auditorium
***Reserve your space by calling 748-3868 and leaving a message on the Registration Hotline or email email@example.com
How to take online Wellness classes through BCBSNC
City employees can fulfill their wellness class requirement by participating in online wellness programs offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Go to www.mybcbsnc.com or www.bcbsnc.com (If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC member card to do so. If you have any issues please contact BCBSNC customer service. Their number is located on the back of your insurance card.) After registering or logging in, choose Wellness at the top and then click on the Wellness Activities link on the left to access these options:
- Healthy Living Conversations - Choose from 15 online, interactive conversations on such topics as stress management, healthy thinking and healthy eating
- Online Monthly Seminars - Fun and engaging online seminars on a variety of wellness topics
HEALTHY OUTCOMES WELLNESS - Our Program for Better Health
Pharmacy Benefits - Express Scripts
North Carolina State Retirement Systems
Other Retirement Systems
- Winston-Salem Police Officers Retirement System (WSPORS)
North Carolina Treasurer
- Aetna Life Insurance: 1 (800) 826-7448, Aetna web site
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Reassure Life/Midland: (336) 765-1582 Roy Jennings
- UNUM Universal Life 1 (800) 635-5597, Unum web site
- CNA (Long-term Care): 1 (800) 266-2904, CNA web site
City-Sponsored Retiree benefits available to eligible retirees, spouses, and dependents
- BCBS Medical Coverage for pre-65 retirees, spouses, and dependents
- United Health Care Supplement coverage for post-65 retirees and spouses
- $2,000 Retiree Life Insurance (Death Benefit)
Links to Helpful Information
Have a suggestion or comment to send to the Webmaster? Use this form.