(links to external web sites will open in a new window)
On behalf of the City of Winston-Salem, thank you for your years of dedicated service! You can find important retiree information here to keep you up-to-date with your retirement benefits. Please feel free to call our office if you need additional information. We are always here to help!
Human Resources Director
Annual Enrollment 2015
Annual Enrollment for 2015 has ended. You may ONLY make a change to your benefits if you have a Qualifying Life Event. For more information on Qualifying Life Events, contact Human Resources at (336) 747-6807.
**2015 benefit cards have been mailed and you should receive them prior to 1/1/2015**
**Due to the volume of questions, we may not be able to answer each email. Instead, questions will be answered here under Frequently Asked Questions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I have to re-enroll in my benefits each year?
Retirees are encouraged to enroll in benefits during Annual Enrollment, UNLESS you are on the Medicare Advantage (United Health Care) plan. United Health Care participants do not need to make any changes. Blue Cross Blue Shield retirees should enroll each year, but benefits will default to your previous year elections should you fail to do so.
Have we changed carriers this year?
No. Active and retiree benefits are still administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. The retiree Medicare Advantage Supplement Plan is still administered through United Health Care.
Health Risk Assessment
- To receive the $50 wellness discount on your 2015 health insurance premiums, you must have completed the online health risk assessment by February 28 of 2015.
- Go to www.bcbsnc.com and log in:
- If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC insurance card to do so.
- If you forgot your user name or password, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- After logging in, click on WELLNESS at the top and then on HEALTH ASSESSMENT.
- The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete.
LIFESMART WELLNESS PROGRAM
Reminder: Employee Medical Services has moved. The new address is
32 West 32nd Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
LifeSmart Wellness Class Series
Sittercise Exercise Class
Every Tuesday and Thursday (unless noted)
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at South Fork Community Center
- May 6 - Diabetes 101, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m., PSC Auditorium
- May 7 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- May 7 - Tobacco Cessation, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical
- May 8 - Retirement Readiness, 10:00 - 11:00 a.m., Hanes Hosiery Rec Ctr
- May 12 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12 Noon, Manson Meads Basement
- May 12 - Estate Planning to Protect Your Children, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Employee Medical
- May 13 - Elder Care Law, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- May 14 - Tobacco Cessation, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical
- May 19 - Estate Planning to Protect Your Children, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Manson Meads
- May 20 - Fats Don't Make You Fat, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Employee Development
- May 21 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- May 26 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12 Noon, Manson Meads Basement
- June 4 - Your 457 & Roth IRA Benefits, 8:30 - 9:30 a.m., Employee Medical
- June 5 - Retirement Readiness, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m., PSC Auditorium
- June 9 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12 Noon, Manson Meads Basement
- June 11 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- June 11 - Planning Ahead Workshop, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Development
- June 17 - Common Sense Law, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Manson Meads
- June 23 - Gentle Yoga, 11:00 a.m. - 12 Noon, Manson Meads Basement
- June 24 - Carbohydrates: Healthy or Not, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
- June 25 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., City Hall Committee Room, 2nd Floor
***Reserve your space by calling 748-3868 and leaving a message on the Registration Hotline or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to take online Wellness classes through BCBSNC
City employees can fulfill their wellness class requirement by participating in online wellness programs offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Go to www.mybcbsnc.com or www.bcbsnc.com (If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC member card to do so. If you have any issues please contact BCBSNC customer service. Their number is located on the back of your insurance card.) After registering or logging in, choose Wellness at the top and then click on the Wellness Activities link on the left to access these options:
- Healthy Living Conversations - Choose from 15 online, interactive conversations on such topics as stress management, healthy thinking and healthy eating
- Online Monthly Seminars - Fun and engaging online seminars on a variety of wellness topics
HEALTHY OUTCOMES WELLNESS - Our Program for Better Health
Pharmacy Benefits - Express Scripts
North Carolina State Retirement Systems
Other Retirement Systems
- Winston-Salem Police Officers Retirement System (WSPORS)
North Carolina Treasurer
- Aetna Life Insurance: 1 (800) 826-7448, Aetna web site
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Reassure Life/Midland: (336) 765-1582 Roy Jennings
- UNUM Universal Life 1 (800) 635-5597, Unum web site
- CNA (Long-term Care): 1 (800) 266-2904, CNA web site
City-Sponsored Retiree benefits available to eligible retirees, spouses, and dependents
- BCBS Medical Coverage for pre-65 retirees, spouses, and dependents
- United Health Care Supplement coverage for post-65 retirees and spouses
- $2,000 Retiree Life Insurance (Death Benefit)
Links to Helpful Information
Have a suggestion or comment to send to the Webmaster? Use this form.