(links to external web sites will open in a new window)
On behalf of the City of Winston-Salem, thank you for your years of dedicated service! You can find important retiree information here to keep you up-to-date with your retirement benefits. Please feel free to call our office if you need additional information. We are always here to help!
Human Resources Director
News and Updates
Health Risk Assessment Deadline Passed
- To receive the $50 wellness discount on your 2014 health insurance premiums, you must have completed the online health risk assessment by February 28 of this year
- If you missed the deadline, you will be eligible for the discount next plan year (1/1-12/31/2015) if you complete the health risk assessment by the deadline (to be published later)
- Go to www.bcbsnc.com and log in
- If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC insurance card to do so.
- If you forgot your user name or password, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- After logging in, click on WELLNESS at the top and then on HEALTH ASSESSMENT.
- The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete.
Biometric Screening 2014
Citywide Biometric Screening will be held September 3 - 30, 2014.
To participate in Biometric Screening you must schedule your appointment between August 1 - 19, 2014.
For your convenience, biometric screenings will be offered throughout the city. Here is the 2014 Biometric Screening Schedule [pdf/158kb/1p].
Scheduling Your Biometric Screening Appointment:
- Call 1-866-908-9440, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. EST and Saturday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST
- If you cannot attend one of the clinics on the schedule, call 1-866-908-9440 to ask for the location of the Quest Diagnostics Patient Service Center closest to you. The Call Center will schedule an appointment for you to have your lab work drawn there. Please make sure to write down this information and keep it in a safe place. Your paperwork will be at the center when you arrive.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions [pdf/138kb/2p]
For questions, please contact Betty Speaks, RN by phone at 748-3866 or by email at email@example.com
2014 Free Flu Shot Clinics
- Retirees and Their Spouses may attend any clinic location (see schedule below)
- Must bring BCBSNC card or MEDICARE card and a picture ID
- No appointment necessary. First Come, First Served!
- For Questions, Call 727-2305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALL Retirees & their Spouses get a Flu Shot even if they have no insurance
See Flu Shot Clinic Schedule [pdf/429kb/1p]
LIFESMART WELLNESS PROGRAM
Reminder: Employee Medical Services has moved. The new address is
32 West 32nd Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
LifeSmart Wellness Class Series
Sittercise Exercise Class
- Every Tuesday and Thursday July - September 2014
- 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at South Fork Community Center
- August 6 - Conflict Resolution, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
- August 7 - Managing Financial Stress, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
- August 12 - Diabetes 101, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m., Employee Medical Services
- August 13 - Managing Job Stress, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Public Safety Ctr. Auditorium
- August 14 - Managing Financial Stress, 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., Public Safety Ctr. Auditorium
- August 14 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
- August 19 - Diabetes: Beyond the Basics, Part 1, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
- August 21 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
- August 26 - Diabetes: Beyond the Basics, Part 2, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
- September 10 - Building Your Portfolio, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m., Bryce A Stuart Public Meeting Room, 5th Floor
- September 18 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
- September 19 - Moonlight Madness 5K and Fun Run, 7:30 p.m., Downtown Winston-Salem
- September 24 - Retirement Q & A 401-K, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Public Safety Ctr. Auditorium
- September 25 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
Pre-register by calling 748-3868 or emailing email@example.com
How to take online Wellness classes through BCBSNC
City employees can fulfill their wellness class requirement by participating in online wellness programs offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Go to www.mybcbsnc.com or www.bcbsnc.com (If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC member card to do so. If you have any issues please contact BCBSNC customer service. Their number is located on the back of your insurance card.) After registering or logging in, choose Wellness at the top and then click on the Wellness Activities link on the left to access these options:
- Healthy Living Conversations - Choose from 14 online, interactive conversations on such topics as stress management, healthy thinking and healthy eating
- Online Monthly Seminars - Fun and engaging online seminars on a variety of wellness topics
HEALTHY OUTCOMES WELLNESS - Our Program for Better Health
Pharmacy Benefits - Express Scripts
City Retiree Premium Reimbursement Program
- Effective Jan. 1, 2012, retirees eligible to participate in the City's Medicare Advantage HMO Group Plan may waive enrollment and instead purchase an individual plan of their choice.
North Carolina State Retirement Systems
Other Retirement Systems
- Winston-Salem Police Officers Retirement System (WSPORS)
North Carolina Treasurer
- Aetna Life Insurance: 1 (800) 826-7448, Aetna web site
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Reassure Life/Midland: (336) 765-1582 Roy Jennings
- UNUM Universal Life 1 (800) 635-5597, Unum web site
- CNA (Long-term Care): 1 (800) 266-2904, CNA web site
City-Sponsored Retiree benefits available to eligible retirees, spouses, and dependents
- BCBS Medical Coverage for pre-65 retirees, spouses, and dependents
- United Health Care Supplement coverage for post-65 retirees and spouses
- $2,000 Retiree Life Insurance (Death Benefit)
Links to Helpful Information
Have a suggestion or comment to send to the Webmaster? Use this form.