(links to external web sites will open in a new window)
On behalf of the City of Winston-Salem, thank you for your years of dedicated service! You can find important retiree information here to keep you up-to-date with your retirement benefits. Please feel free to call our office if you need additional information. We are always here to help!
Human Resources Director
Annual Enrollment 2015
Annual Enrollment for 2015 has ended. You may ONLY make a change to your benefits if you have a Qualifying Life Event. For more information on Qualifying Life Events, contact Human Resources at (336) 747-6807.
**2015 benefit cards have been mailed and you should receive them prior to 1/1/2015**
**Due to the volume of questions, we may not be able to answer each email. Instead, questions will be answered here under Frequently Asked Questions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I have to re-enroll in my benefits each year?
Retirees are encouraged to enroll in benefits during Annual Enrollment, UNLESS you are on the Medicare Advantage (United Health Care) plan. United Health Care participants do not need to make any changes. Blue Cross Blue Shield retirees should enroll each year, but benefits will default to your previous year elections should you fail to do so.
Have we changed carriers this year?
No. Active and retiree benefits are still administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. The retiree Medicare Advantage Supplement Plan is still administered through United Health Care.
Health Risk Assessment
- To receive the $50 wellness discount on your 2015 health insurance premiums, you must have completed the online health risk assessment by February 28 of 2015.
- Go to www.bcbsnc.com and log in
- If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC insurance card to do so.
- If you forgot your user name or password, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- After logging in, click on WELLNESS at the top and then on HEALTH ASSESSMENT.
- The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete.
Biometric Screening Results Delivery
Your results will be mailed from Quest Diagnostics within 2-3 weeks of appointment time.
To get your Biometric results online:
2015 Mammogram Registration Information
The Mobile Mammogram Clinic will be held January 21 - 23, 2015 at Employee Medical Services. Beginning Monday, October 27, 2014, through Tuesday, January 6, 2015, you can call Health Connections at (336) 718-7000 to schedule your own appointment.
To register, complete the following steps:
- Call Health Connections at (336) 718-7000 to schedule your appointment. Reservation line will be open from 10/27/2014 - 1/6/2015.
- Complete the Mobile Patient Information Sheet [pdf/50kb/1p]
- Complete the Breast History Form [pdf/41kb/1p]
- Make a copy of the front and back of your insurance card.
- Submit the completed forms along with a copy of the front and back of your insurance card to Employee Medical Services, Attn: Ashley Blount, PO Box 2511, Winston-Salem, NC 27102 or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? No insurance? Contact Betty Speaks, RN at 748-3866 or email@example.com for scholarship assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions [pdf/88kb/1p]
LIFESMART WELLNESS PROGRAM
Reminder: Employee Medical Services has moved. The new address is
32 West 32nd Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
LifeSmart Wellness Class Series
Sittercise Exercise Class
Every Tuesday and Thursday (unless noted)
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at South Fork Community Center
January 8 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
January 14 - Preparing to Be a Caregiver, 1:00 - 200 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
January 20 - Winston-Salem IRA/457 Plans, 8:00 - 9:00 a.m, Utilities C&M, 1550B MLK Dr., Large Break Room
January 21 - Retirement Readiness, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
January 22 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
January 28 - Optimize Nutrition With a Plant-Based Diet, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
January 29 - Tobacco Cessation Series, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
February 4 - Heart Disease: Know Your Risks, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
February 5 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
February 5 - Tobacco Cessation Series, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
February 11 - Heart Disease: Know Your Risks, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Public Safety Ctr. Auditorium
February 12 - I'm Nearing Retirement- Now What?, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Public Safety Ctr. Auditorium
February 12 - Tobacco Cessation Series, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
February 18 - Retirement Readiness, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Public Safety Ctr. Auditorium
February 18 - Carbohydrates: Healthy or Not?, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
February 19 - Gentle Yoga, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
February 19 - Tobacco Cessation Series, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
February 25 - Housing Options for Older Adults, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall
February 26 - Tobacco Cessation Series, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Employee Medical Services
***Pre-register by calling 748-3868 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
How to take online Wellness classes through BCBSNC
City employees can fulfill their wellness class requirement by participating in online wellness programs offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Go to www.mybcbsnc.com or www.bcbsnc.com (If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC member card to do so. If you have any issues please contact BCBSNC customer service. Their number is located on the back of your insurance card.) After registering or logging in, choose Wellness at the top and then click on the Wellness Activities link on the left to access these options:
- Healthy Living Conversations - Choose from 14 online, interactive conversations on such topics as stress management, healthy thinking and healthy eating
- Online Monthly Seminars - Fun and engaging online seminars on a variety of wellness topics
HEALTHY OUTCOMES WELLNESS - Our Program for Better Health
Pharmacy Benefits - Express Scripts
North Carolina State Retirement Systems
Other Retirement Systems
- Winston-Salem Police Officers Retirement System (WSPORS)
North Carolina Treasurer
- Aetna Life Insurance: 1 (800) 826-7448, Aetna web site
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Reassure Life/Midland: (336) 765-1582 Roy Jennings
- UNUM Universal Life 1 (800) 635-5597, Unum web site
- CNA (Long-term Care): 1 (800) 266-2904, CNA web site
City-Sponsored Retiree benefits available to eligible retirees, spouses, and dependents
- BCBS Medical Coverage for pre-65 retirees, spouses, and dependents
- United Health Care Supplement coverage for post-65 retirees and spouses
- $2,000 Retiree Life Insurance (Death Benefit)
Links to Helpful Information
Have a suggestion or comment to send to the Webmaster? Use this form.