Sustainability steps of the Information Systems Department
Existing Reduction Measures in Winston-Salem Government Operations
- Use of virtualization technologies to consolidate number of computer servers
- Updated power management equipment in the data center.
- Policies to turn off PCs at night.
- Printing devices go into power save mode when inactive.
- Surplus computers are donated to nonprofits or sold to employees for extended use.
Future Reduction Measures for Winston-Salem Government Operations
- To become Energy Star compliant on desktop management.
- Further consolidate servers through more aggressive virtualization technologies.
- Monitor, report, and track power consumption in the data center.
Read the Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Local Action Plan to Reduce Emissions Report July 2008 [pdf/1mb/43p]