Plan Recommendation Highlights
The following recommendations are among those included in the North Central Winston-Salem Area Plan, beginning on page 21:
- Develop Wilson Trail with compatible duplex, quadraplex, small footprint townhouse/multifamily development or single-family structures.
- Continue revitalization of vacant or underutilized industrial sites in the planning area. Existing industrial sites could be converted to other uses compatible with surrounding residential areas.
- Strengthen pedestrian connections between residential and commercial uses, especially the west side of North Patterson Avenue and the intersection of North Patterson and Indiana Avenues.
- Plant large-variety trees between the sidewalk and street along North Patterson Avenue.
- Redevelop the commercial area that surrounds Greenway Avenue south of North Glenn Avenue with a mixture of commercial, low-intensity office uses, and/or multifamily housing.
- Develop the Deacon Boulevard/Baity Street area with a mixture of intermediate- and high-density residential uses as well as commercial, office, and institutional uses. Design the area with an urban form that is pedestrian friendly with parking located to the side and rear of buildings.
- Redevelop the area between North Chestnut Street and North Patterson Avenue at Northwest Boulevard with a commercial use, such as a grocery store, or for institutional uses. Parking areas should be located internally to be visually unobtrusive and pedestrian-friendly.
- Construct new greenways in accordance with the plan recommendations.
- Implement proposals for sidewalks on identified roads.
- Implement proposals for road improvements to accommodate bicycles.
- Replace the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center in Kimberley Park with a larger facility that meets the needs of the surrounding neighborhoods and is ADA compliant.
- Continue redevelopment efforts of the Neal Place area as City funds become available.