Plan Status - Adopted
The North Central Winston-Salem Area Plan [pdf/2.6mb/96p] was adopted by City Council and the City-County Planning Board in 2007. The plan was prepared by the North Central Area Citizens' Advisory Committee and City-County Planning Department staff. The plan will guide future land use and public investment decisions and includes recommendations for land use, transportation, community facilities, community development and housing, design and appearance, historic preservation, and economic development.
Boundaries of the Planning Area
The North Central Planning Area [pdf/300kb/1p] encompasses 2,035 acres and is bounded on the north by Reynolds Boulevard and Akron Drive; on the east by US 52; on the south by Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Eighth Street, and the Southern Railway; and on the west by the Methodist Children’s Home and a stream north of Coliseum Drive. The planning area is in four city council wards. Approximately one-half the planning area is in the North Ward, approximately one-third is in the Northeast Ward, and the balance is in the East and Northwest Wards.
- Promote appropriate residential infill,
- Concentrate goods and services in existing commercial areas,
- Protect residential areas for commercial encroachment,
- Promote reuse/redevelopment of vacant and underutilized commercial sites,
- Consider reuse/redevelopment of factory buildings to live/work spaces or mixed-use developments, and
- Complete a master plan for the Coliseum/Fairground area.
Marco Andrade, Project Planner, (336) 747-7057