The Awards Program honors the achievements of individuals, businesses and community groups which have made outstanding contributions to enhance the appearance of the city and county. The 1999 Biennial Awards Program was held in October 1999 at the Wake Forest University Bridger Field House. Eleven winners were awarded.
2005 Count Zinzendorf Award:
Foothills Brew Pub,
638 West Fourth Street,
2005 Joseph Winston Award:
4 Park Boulevard, Winston Salem
2005 Count Zinzendorf Award:
635 North Trade,
2005 Joseph Winston Award:
302 Mill Street, Winston Salem
2005 County Commissioners Award: Kernersville 4th of July Park
2005 Benjamin Forsyth Award:
Piedmont Land Conservancy
for Black Walnut Bottom and
Black Walnut Bluffs, Bethania
2005 Mayor’s Award:
North Carolina School of the Arts
2005 George Black Award:
2005 City Council Award:
St. Phillips Church,
911 South Church Street, Winston Salem
2005 Community Appearance
Foothills Brew Pub
The Foothills Brewing Company is located on Fourth Street in downtown Winston-Salem. The building, constructed in 1928, first served the community as an automobile dealership. The Foothills Brewing Company opened in 2004 as a contemporary brewery and restaurant.
The owners completed extensive renovations on the building. Renovations include removal of a garage door from the façade, reconfiguring the entrance and replacing all windows with more appropriate windows. The exterior brick was also cleaned and new signage installed. The restaurant now also features outdoor dining on Fourth Street which has brought street life to this section of town.
The renovations to the building have improved this retail/restaurant space with on open and inviting atmosphere. This renovation has improved the west end of Fourth Street in appearance and brought nightlife back to this area of downtown.
635 North Trade
635 North Trade Street is the newest office building on Trade Street. This area of downtown Winston-Salem is experiencing a maturing with the arts, new galleries, restaurants, and businesses moving in. The new building is located at the corner of Trade and Seventh Streets, the site of the old Trade Street Mission.
Trade Street Partners was formed in 2003 with a vision to reinvest in downtown Winston-Salem. With the help of Walter Robbs Callahan & Pierce Architects, Stimmel Associates, and Frank L. Blum Construction, Trade Street Partners set out to renovate the existing Trade Street Mission for their future office and meeting space. Major structural deficiencies and deterioration forced the group to raze the existing structure and build a new structure in its place.
As the new design developed, Trade Street Partners stressed the importance of the new building creating a sense of harmony with the existing streetscape in terms of scale, landscaping, materials, and architectural style. The building responds to many of the existing architectural elements found along Trade Street and has become a “good neighbor” to the adjacent businesses.
The construction of the new facility at 635 North Trade Street is a successful project that enhances the appearance of the surrounding area and encourages others to make similar investments in the revitalization of downtown Winston Salem.
Kernersville 4th of July Park
All parks add to the value and appearance of a community and in Kernersville, the Fourth of July Park exemplifies this idea. A citizen committee comprised of residents and children drove the design process.
Once the needs and goals were established by the citizen committee, the Director of Parks and Recreation hired landscape experts Woolpert Consultants of Charlotte, North Carolina. Woolpert Consultants assisted in blending the existing assets of the park with the new ideas and improvements recommended by citizen volunteers. The design process began in April of 2004 and construction began in October of 2004.
One of the main features is a newly constructed 12,000 square foot skateboard park: the only skateboard park in Forsyth County. Several children skateboard users participated in the design of this facility.
Other additions and renovations to the park include a new basketball court, new restrooms and concession stand, new parking lots, improved tennis courts, a one-mile paved walking trail through a beautiful forest of hardwood trees and seven individual picnic sites. Finally an internal stream in the park was renovated. Observation decks were constructed along the stream to observe small animal and aquatic habitats.
The park also includes a one-room schoolhouse built in 1870. The schoolhouse is open for tours arranged by the Kernersville Historic Preservation Society.
This project is a true example of a community volunteer-driven project successfully meeting the needs and goals of Kernersville’s citizens.
North Carolina School of the Arts
The last five years have brought quite a change to the North Carolina School of the Arts campus. Several exciting new buildings have been constructed. There are many new plantings and landscape features that demonstrate a new focus on the landscape to make the campus aesthetically more appealing as well as more user and pedestrian friendly.
2004 saw two new buildings constructed on the campus. Watson Hall, the new music building, was constructed across from Performance Place. A circular drive was added between the buildings with a special effort to preserve a very large white oak. The second building was the new Welcome Center which houses student support related offices. The building also has extensive plantings adding to the visual appearance of the site.
Multiple landscaping and aesthetic projects have also been completed on the campus. These include: The Philip and Charlotte Hanes Sculpture added in May 2005 created by artist Richard Hunt. It creates a stunning focal point near the Welcome Center. The sculpture is surrounded by plantings. Daniels Plaza, constructed in September 2003, was built in conjunction with the refurbishment of the Student Commons building. It has extensive plantings, decorative walks, and a lovely water feature. There are benches and sitting areas throughout for the students, staff, and faculty to enjoy the area. The Fowler Overlook Project is located behind Watson Hall and overlooks Daniels Plaza. The sculpture in this area, added in April 2005, was made by Michael Waller of Durham and donated by Clyde Fowler, former professor of Visual Art. Sneden’s Landing, also completed in April 2005, is a new green space developed by closing and removing Minor Street. It was constructed to honor John Sneden, the founding dean of the School of Design and Production. It includes engraved bricks that recognize donors who gave to the John A. Sneden Scholarship and Student Fund. The designer is long-time faculty member, Mark Pirolo. Benches, decorative walks, and plantings make this a wonderful area for the NCSA community to gather.
The North Carolina School of the Arts has achieved amazing results with these projects. They have changed the entire appearance and atmosphere of the campus. It is also gratifying to see the commitment and efforts of faculty, staff, students, alumni, and patrons in many of these projects. The North Carolina School of the Arts and all of the designers should be commended for the outstanding results.
St. Philips Church
The St. Philips complex includes three major components: the restored 1861 St. Philips Moravian Church with an 1890 addition, the 1823 reconstructed log church, and the 18th-19th century graveyard. The site is used primarily to interpret the African-American experience in Salem from the 18th century through the civil rights era.
The site was first used historically as a burial ground for non-Moravians starting in 1772. African-Americans began to be buried here in the 1790s if they were not Moravians, while Moravian members were buried in God’s Acre. Beginning in 1816, all African-Americans, whether Moravian or not, were buried in the graveyard. The graveyard was used until 1859 when a new African-American graveyard was established closer to the main Moravian burial ground. A memorial listing all the burials and brief information is on the front of the building, and generic markers have been placed to identify known locations of adult or children’s graves.
The 1823 log church is a reconstructed building using the white oak timbers, the original material identified in the Moravian records. It measures 40 by 28 feet. The interior is used as a modern interpretive space to introduce the history of the site.
The National Register listed St. Philips as the oldest surviving African-American church in North Carolina. It was built in 1861 on the edge of the burial ground. It is a large masonry Greek Revival structure. A Union Army chaplain read the Emancipation Proclamation to the African-Americans from the pulpit when the troop passed through Salem at the end of the Civil War. When the church was expanded in 1890 to add needed space and classrooms, it was built over part of the graveyard. The building was restored to the configuration with the steeple and the 1920s appearance. The congregation, which still exists, moved out of the building in 1952 when it relocated to the Happy Hill neighborhood.
This is one of the most significant African-American sites in the State representing almost 15 years of research and study in the restoration and interpretation of this complex and important site. The prominence of the brick church on the ridge gives the site a well-deserved visibility after years of being hidden by overgrown vegetation. As a new exhibit in Old Salem, this site presents a significant step toward the broadening of interpreting historic African-American sites in North Carolina and a landmark on the landscape of Winston-Salem.
4 Park Boulevard
Known as the John W. Frazier House, the owners, Greg Errett and Carmon Caruth, of 4 Park Boulevard spent several years contemplating the construction of a new garage in the Washington Park Historic District. The property, located at the corner of Park and Gloria, has high visibility and the new garage looks as if it has always been there.
Greg worked closely with David Gall and his architectural staff to develop a garage that would not just meet his needs, but that would also enhance the neighborhood. The structure is scaled appropriately to the lot and adjacent residences. The architectural details for the garage, its roof, doors and side entrance match the existing details on his residence and are scaled for the size of the structure. The owners have gone to great lengths to ensure that the garage fits in and improves the appearance of the property and the historic neighborhood.
The owners have built a shining example of appropriate new construction in an older neighborhood.
302 Mill Street
In 1910, the P.H. Hanes Knitting Company constructed a spinning plant west of the city. Around this plant the Hanes Company constructed a village appropriately named “Hanestown,” complete with a school, church, auditorium, and twenty-acre recreation park. Most of the houses were modest one-story frame dwellings, and many of the families who occupied them came from the farms of Forsyth and surrounding counties.
Located at the corner of Mill and Thurston, adjacent to the Sara Lee plant, the neat gray house with its well-manicured landscaping is there to greet you. The owners, who moved into the neighborhood in 1997, take pride in their community and want their small part of the world to be bright and lively.
Typically, neighbors see Cathie out in her yard tending to her plants early in the morning when she greets everyone with a “good morning.” Sometimes they will still find her there in the evening working diligently with her wide variety of plants and trees. Over the years, this corner has become a conversation piece with neighbors, building friendships and a sense of community.
Piedmont Land Conservancy for Black Walnut Bottom and Black Walnut Bluffs
Bethania was founded in 1759 by Moravian settlers, and is recognized as a National Historic Landmark District. The town was designed as a medieval planned community; with alleys and small connecting roads that linked townspeople to area shops, gardens, church and neighbors. A major amount of time was spent each day farming the many fields and orchards that surrounded the town. Bethania is blessed to still have those same lush bottomlands and rolling orchard lots that lured early settlers to the town. According to the National Historic Landmark nomination, Bethania is nationally significant because it is a rare example of the agricultural patterns of a German, "open field" agricultural village.
In October 2004, the State was awarded $195,000 from the North Carolina Natural Heritage Trust Fund to purchase 7.71 acres of open space in Bethania. The Department of Cultural Resources also worked closely with Piedmont Land Conservancy and the townspeople of Bethania to permanently protect two biologically and culturally significant sites: Black Walnut Bottoms and Black Walnut Bluffs.
Black Walnut Bluffs is a 19.54-acre parcel located on the edge of Bethania. From atop this bluff, one can see the entire historic settlement of Bethania below. The Forsyth County Natural Heritage Inventory, conducted in 1998, found that the natural plant communities identified on this property were the same features described in an inventory conducted on the site in 1768.
Black Walnut Bottom is a 29.98-acre floodplain that extends north from the base of Black Walnut Bluffs. The floodplain has been farmed and used as a garden, woodlot, orchard and picnic ground since colonial times. Today, Piedmont Land Conservancy holds an annual Plow Day at Walnut Bottoms to let people try their hand at a horse-drawn plow which is quite a leg workout!
Thanks to the Piedmont Land Conservancy, these historic landscapes will remain unspoiled by the rapid growth and changes taking place across the State. Since 1998, the PLC has worked with local landowners and State agencies to successfully protect over 70 acres of land, highly significant to the historic integrity of Bethania. All of the protected land is accessible and highly visible to thousands of passersby each week.
Words used, by volunteers and board members, to describe our George Black winner include: kind, gentle, very quiet but very wise, caring, innovative and compassionate. Jimmy Johnson owned J.H. Johnson Construction Company and used his design and building skills to assist Habitat for Humanity in Forsyth County in constructing houses with character, style and a sense of place.
Over the years, Jimmy Johnson served as a Habitat Board member, past Board chair, Building Committee chair, and as a volunteer. Through his influence and diligence, Habitat began to build better houses and embraced the idea of revitalizing whole communities in partnership with neighborhoods, the City, and other groups with similar goals. Jimmy was concerned with the “not in my back yard” attitude some neighborhoods had toward Habitat houses and so he assisted with the development of a new plan. As a result, Habitat houses' new appearance includes steeper pitched roofs, large front porches, and more windows, giving the houses more “curb appeal.” Since the new designs have been adopted, many groups and individuals are requesting Habitat Houses to be built in their neighborhood.
Jimmy worked with Habitat to create a partnership with the Home Builders Association, Forsyth Technical Community College, and the Winston Salem/Forsyth County Schools Career Center that has continued to grow. Jimmy felt it was important to provide young carpentry students with real opportunities to apply their trade. Thanks to Jimmy, Forsyth Tech students construct two Habitat Houses each year and the Career Center builds a third house. Jimmy was well known for forging lasting and committed partnerships.
Jimmy Johnson saw an opportunity to change and improve the quality of the houses constructed by Habitat for Humanity. He cared deeply about giving people an opportunity to change their lives for the better. His passion and drive were felt by so many in the community and on the project sites. According to Anne Armfield, the current Board chair and a volunteer, Jimmy had the ability to empower volunteers to build and accomplish tasks they never thought they could. His untimely death in 2004 cut short the life of a very important person in Forsyth County. His work with Habitat continues on and his influence was so great that each year Habitat for Humanity in Forsyth County holds the Annual Jimmy Johnson Labor of Love Blitz.
Listening to people talk about Doug Lewis, there has never been a time when he was not involved with the on-going improvements of Winston Salem. His interests and volunteer work include the arts, roads, the North Carolina School of the Arts, parks and natural elements. He serves an important role in the community as a partnership builder, facilitator, advisor and friend.
Most people are aware that Doug Lewis was the headmaster of the Summit School from 1957 to 1990. Under Doug’s leadership, the school continued to expand. Summit is now one of the largest independent schools in the country with a kindergarten through junior high structure. The junior high building, gymnasiums, and music building were built in the 1960’s and 1970’s. The Teaching Learning Center and the Middle Grades Building were built in the 1980’s. The new construction on campus, under Doug’s direction, has visually enhanced the school campus.
What many may not know is that Doug has been integral in the adaptive reuse of many buildings in Winston Salem. In 1972, James Hanes deeded his 32 acre estate to the Gallery of Contemporary Art, now known as the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Arts. Doug was called in to assist with the conversion of the Tudor style mansion into exhibit space. This large project was completed in 1976, and since that time, SECCA has continued to grow.
The Arts Council called on Doug for assistance with two projects: the Sawtooth Center for Visual Design and the Stevens Center. The first project started in the late 1970’s when they were outgrowing their facility on Coliseum Drive and Doug assisted with locating a larger space. With the acquisition of the old garage facility on North Marshall Street, they could plan for larger expansion and class offerings. Doug was instrumental in the conversion of this building for its current use as the Sawtooth Center. But his work did not stop there. He also worked to develop Winston Square Park, adjacent to the Sawtooth building.
Doug’s second project for the Arts Council was to assist with the Stevens Center. Originally a 1929 silent movie theatre, the Stevens Center is a magnificently restored neoclassical theatre located downtown. Re-opened in April 1983, the Stevens Center is the primary performance space for the North Carolina School of the Arts as well as the Winston-Salem Symphony, Piedmont Opera Theatre, and several other local and state arts organizations. These two projects have involved Doug’s expressed interests: adaptive reuse of buildings and his love of the arts.
Doug’s work in the community did not stop there. In 1991, Doug was instrumental in bringing together the community and an urban design team to create the Southeast Gateway Plan, a long-term development plan for the area south of downtown Winston-Salem. Since then, Doug has worked persistently to implement the plan, coordinate the work of the Southeast Gateway Council and bring together public and private interests. His hard work is now visible in improvements to the university campuses, the recently completed traffic circle, and an exciting new mixed-use development soon to break ground.
The Community Appearance Commission was privileged to have Doug as a member for eight years. His participation on the Commission included working on Community Roots Day and the University Corridor project. Glenn Simmons, principal planner for the City of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County, expresses it best: “Doug is visionary, wise, resourceful and patient. Doug is extremely knowledgeable of the community, the people and processes, both formal and informal, which make it work. Above all else, Doug knows what to take seriously and what to laugh about!”