The Bethabara Historic District was Forsyth County’s second local historic district, designated in 1966. The settlement of Bethabara was founded in 1753 when the members of the Moravian brethren arrived from Pennsylvania. Bethabara was the first Moravian settlement in the community, and it marked the beginning of a series of Moravian communities on a nearly 100,000-acre tract that the Moravians had purchased from Lord Granville in North Carolina. Bethabara became a thriving center providing shelter, commerce, and agricultural products. Despite the eventual establishment of Salem in 1766, Bethabara continued to be an important stop on the route of travelers to Salem. The significance of Bethabara was nationally recognized in 1978 when it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It has subsequently been named a National Historic Landmark district. Today the district features outstanding examples of German-Moravian architecture, a wealth of archaeological resources, and pastoral open space. For more information on Bethabara, visit the web site of Historic Bethabara Park, which further details the history of this important district.