by Michelle McCullough (4/23/2012)
Photos by Heather Fearnbach
John Henry Pfaff House
The John Henry Pfaff House is located at 4798 Pfaff Lane in Pfafftown. Built in ca. 1905, this traditional vernacular-style house with Colonial Revival-Style features is a well-preserved and intact example of its style and period. It is a two-story frame dwelling with an L-shaped configuration and simple Colonial Revival-style detailing. There is a well shed that was sensitively converted during the 1990 renovation of the house to an attached gazebo with a brick floor and turned posts and balustrade matching those of the rear ell porch.
The Pfaff House is associated with the importance of Forsyth County’s smaller agricultural communities which were settled when the Moravian community decided to settle in the surrounding countryside of Wachovia during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The Pfaff House is also important because of its attachment to the Pfaff family who were important to the town which bears its name, Pfafftown.
The Pfaff House was the home of John Henry Pfaff, a great grandson of Peter Pfaff, for whom Pfafftown is named. In 1786 Peter Pfaff left the Moravian country congregation of Friedberg to join his son Isaac on his farm near Bethania. By 1896, Pfafftown had grown to include 100 residents. Lacking any manufactories or mills, it remained primarily a farming community. John Pfaff was highly esteemed in the area and was known for his benevolent spirit and deeds. He operated a general merchandise store for nearly half a century at the crossroads in Pfafftown. He built the frame house for his growing family next to the store in the early Twentieth century.