by Michelle McCullough
Residential Apartment Building
1714 Lynwood Avenue, Winston-Salem
1714 Lynwood Avenue was constructed in 1922. The brick-constructed building has a poured concrete foundation with poured concrete piers dating to its original construction. When purchased by Sam Ogburn, Jr., the property underwent major renovations with exterior alterations including: removal of the metal awnings; installation of appropriate columns; installation of decking material with bead board; installation of railings on the porches and steps; removal of the window air conditioners; screening of the heat pumps with wood fences; the addition of central air conditioning; new heating system, wiring, and plumbing; and, the installation of landscaping and retaining walls. The porch details were painted a compatible color rather than the contrasting one that had been applied by a previous owner. Interior alterations included: sanding of the wood floors; installation of lighting and carpets in common spaces; construction of new kitchens; window and plaster repair; and, many more details. Mr. Ogburn, Jr. completed renovation of the apartment building in the spring of 2005.
Sam and Jane Ogburn, Jr., Ogburn Properties
310-314 West Fourth Street, Winston-Salem
Constructed in 1926 as an office building, the 18-story Nissen Building is located at 310-314 West Fourth Street in downtown Winston-Salem. Designed by New York architect William L. Stoddart, the Nissen Building was built for William Madison Nissen, former owner of Nissen Wagon Works, and stands as a monument to the Nissen family's important role in the development of Winston-Salem. In 2003, a multi-million dollar rehabilitation began, retaining original architectural features and recreating a highly ornamented street level façade that had been removed in 1968. The Nissen project is incomparable in terms of scope and economic impact as well as being a unifying element between the preservation and development communities. Now home to 145 luxury apartments, the Nissen Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a Forsyth County Local Historic Landmark property.
Nissen Risk Capital, LLC
Bank of America
St. Paul United Methodist Church Graveyard
South Main Street, Kernersville
Kernersville’s original Main Street Methodist Episcopal Church building was constructed in 1837. In 1873, a group of African-American members at the Main Street Methodist Episcopal Church purchased the church building, which had been replaced by a newer structure, and moved it to the cemetery site. At this location the congregation became known as St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church and it was only the third established church in the town. St. Paul was also the first place of worship for the black community in Kernersville. What happened with the original St. Paul’s church building, which sat next to the graveyard for 15 years, remains a mystery. However, the cemetery remains at the original location. In 1990, Sarah Hamlin spearheaded an effort to restore the neglected cemetery, organizing volunteers and the Kernersville Historic Preservation Society to assist in retaining a very important part of Kernersville’s African-American history. The project included obtaining funding for the initial cleanup, installation of a cast iron fence and continuing maintenance. Moreover, the project succeeded in bringing recognition and appreciation for the past lives of over 200 Kernersville residents buried in the cemetery and preserving a vital piece of Kernersville’s history.
Ardmore Neighborhood Association
The Ardmore Neighborhood Association was nominated for its hard work over the last several years in obtaining National Register of Historic Places listing for the neighborhood in August of 2004. With this listing, Ardmore became the largest historic district in Winston-Salem. After achieving this goal, the neighborhood association continued to promote Ardmore as a good place to live; the association also worked to educate property owners about the historic significance of the neighborhood and opportunities for using historic preservation rehabilitation tax credits. Currently, the neighborhood is working to install historic markers throughout the District to identify the area. The current President of the Ardmore Neighborhood Association, Jennifer Redd-Lovett states “I personally believe our biggest (and most rewarding accomplishment) regarding our preservation efforts has been the social capital that has been generated throughout our efforts to receive historic district status. Deep, long-lasting friendships were made while love, appreciation and pride in our home neighborhood have been fostered. It became obvious to most of those involved how much blood, sweat and tears went into the original planning of the area and why it is imperative that those long ago efforts be protected, loved and appreciated. The future depends and relies on the efforts of the past.”
In her long and distinguished career in historic preservation, Gwynne Taylor helped to start Preservation North Carolina’s revolving fund, and was the principal investigator for the Forsyth County Historic Inventory, documenting over 1,500 historic properties. She is author of the book From Frontier to Factory, An Architectural History of Forsyth County. Gwynne has also served as president of Preservation North Carolina and currently serves on its board. Additionally, Gwynne served as the director of Historic Bethabara Park in Winston-Salem. In 1999, Gwynne was recognized by Preservation North Carolina with the Ruth Coltrane Cannon Award. This award is North Carolina’s most prestigious preservation award presented for outstanding achievement of statewide significance in historic preservation in North Carolina. Gwynne is currently managing the restoration/renovation project of the 1785 Single Sisters House for Salem Academy and College. Gwynne strives through her collaborative efforts to help preserve a broader spectrum of historic resources in Forsyth County including 19th and 20th century neighborhoods, farm complexes, African-American sites, commercial, and industrial sites.