West Salem Historic District House
914 Walnut Street, Winston-Salem
The house located at 914 Walnut Street is a contributing structure in the West Salem Historic District. This bungalow was built around 1920 and is an excellent example of the Craftsman style. The house includes a side gable roof with a front-gable dormer; a front gable porch; large battered stucco piers on square posts; half-timbering in porch and dormer gables; decoratively cut knee braces; a variety of windows; transom and sidelights; and decoratively cut rafter tails. The interior mill work was done by the original owner, room by room. The house had been boarded-up for fifteen years and was in a complete state of deterioration when Jon Richard purchased the house in 1998. Mr. Richard painstakingly restored the house back to its original luster, repairing decorative wood features; repairing the house’s windows and stucco; and, installing new plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems, a new kitchen and bathrooms, and new landscaping.
Large Scale Residential
Thomas A. Crews House
4997 Main Street, Walkertown
The Thomas A. Crews House was built in 1891 and is the best surviving example of vernacular Queen Anne architecture in Walkertown. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993 and designated as a Forsyth County Local Historic Landmark in 1994. It is the only remaining property in the town associated with the life of Thomas A. Crews, who built the T.A. Crews Tobacco Factory with his brother James. The home has remained in the Crews family for five generations, and in 1992 a restoration of the house, its washhouse, pumphouse, and smokehouse began. The renovation of the main house was a vast job and included rebuilding the foundation; repairing the porch floor, repairing the posts and railings; replacement of a significant amount of rotten wood siding, flooring and window sills; installation of a new metal roof; repainting the house with colors that were original to the home; and replacing the front door to match the original. There was also extensive restoration to the interior of the main home, which included repairing plaster walls, repainting and wallpapering in a historically correct manner, electrifying the original gas lights, and refinishing of original wood floors.
Odessa P. Crews
Sallie Crews Johnson and Family
Nancy Crews Moretz and Family
Rural Farm Preservation
Lewis Hanes House and Barn
4390 Clouds Harbor Trail, Winston-Salem
The Lewis Hanes House was constructed in 1857 by Lewis Hanes; bricks in the east chimney are inscribed, “J.C.B. 1857.” Its barn was built by a Dunker craftsman in the late 1800s. The east section of the house is log; the barn and other outbuildings are outstanding examples of a 19th century farming complex. When Patrick Dodson and Keith Hastings purchased the property in 1980, the house was a skeleton of its original self. There were 52 broken windows, no porch boards left, many to most of the wood features were either rotten or missing, walls had been added to the interior, and the seven fireplaces were the only heat source. Mr. Dodson and Mr.Hastings completely renovated the house and barn, installing new roofs, repairing the mantels, painting the exterior, refinishing the floors, and installing new wiring, plumbing, heating, and air conditioning systems. After being restored, the barn was put back into its original service and now houses horses and hay.
Brown Brothers Tobacco Prizery
401 East Fourth Street, Winston-Salem
The Brown Brothers Tobacco Prizery building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 and was designated a Forsyth County Local Historic Landmark in 2004. This Second Empire-style building includes a mansard roof with fish scale straightedge slate shingles; double-hung sash dormers and an addition illustrating the expansion of the tobacco business. The interior of the building featured an open floor plan with exposed rough-hewn posts. The building has been converted into mixed-use condominiums and commercial spaces. Special attention was paid to preserving the building’s original heavy timber construction, exposed brick walls, wood and concrete floors, steel beams, and exposed wood ceilings. Original windows and slate portions of the roof were repaired. Some historic machinery parts and artifacts remain on display in common areas. Modern upgrades, such as a fitness room, sauna and steam room, rooftop common space, and many updates in individual units were added, while retaining the historic and industrial feel of the building.
Piedmont Leaf Lofts/Brown Tobacco Prizery
Former Summit Street Pharmacy
492 West End Boulevard, Winston-Salem
The former Summit Street Pharmacy was built in 1928 by C. A. Dobbins and is a contributing structure in the West End Historic District. The two-story masonry building is designed in the Mediterranean style. The wall surface is covered with rough stucco with randomly-placed slate slabs of varying colors. In the 1940s, the pharmacy featured a soda fountain that extended the length of the building, and with R.J. Reynolds High School nearby, quickly became “the gathering place for young people in Winston-Salem.” In 1968, the pharmacy moved to Reynolda Road and the West End building became offices and a warehouse for Kentucky Fried Chicken. In 2006, Chris Ramm purchased the property and renovated it, turning the first floor space into the Mock Orange Bike Shop and the second story back to apartments and an office. Renovation included repair of the stucco exterior, repair and re-glazing of the windows, repainting of all wood features, replacement of broken terra cotta roof tiles, installation of landscaping and parking improvements at the rear of the property.
Chris and Suzanne Ramm
Chip and Mary Eliza Duckett
Mock Orange Bike Shop
Neil Clark, Twin City Construction
John Kelly, Twin City Construction
Single Sisters House
627 South Church Street, Winston Salem
The Salem Single Sisters House, built in 1785 and enlarged in 1819, was the residence and workplace for the unmarried women of the early Salem congregational community. Among the many successful enterprises of the Single Sisters was a school for girls, founded in 1772, which is known today as Salem Academy and College. It is the oldest building in the nation dedicated to the education of women and the oldest building on a college or university campus in North Carolina. By 2002, the Single Sisters House needed numerous repairs and maintenance; the City fire marshal declared the building hazardous and closed it to habitation. With assistance from Senator Richard Burr and U.S. Representative Mel Watt, the College was awarded a “Save America’s Treasures” grant from the National Park Service. Salem Academy and College was able to restore the building for multiple uses, including a Welcome Center, Office of Admissions, reception areas, classrooms, offices, and a museum.
Salem Academy and College
Dr. Susan E. Pauly, President
Gwynne Stephens Taylor; Chair, Board of Trustees and Project Manager
Jane Carmichael, Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations
Anna Gallimore, Director of Administration and Project Manager
Frank L. Blum Construction Company
Marianna Thomas Architects
Medical Gardens at Bethabara
Bethabara Park, Winston-Salem
Dr. Hans Kalberlahn, one of the original eleven settlers of the Wachovia Tract, began the medical garden in Bethabara in 1754, and was succeeded by Dr. August Schubert in 1760. The surveyor Christian Gottlieb Reuter later mapped and documented the garden, with its 61 plant species used to treat common ailments. With the help of the Garden Club Council of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County, the Medical Garden was reconstructed in 1991 with beds replanted as closely as possible to the originals. The reconstructed Bethabara Medical Garden is the earliest known well-documented medical garden in the United States. Recently, Ms. Beverly Nesbit and her husband, Dr. A. Daniel Johnson, noted that the years since the Garden’s reconstruction had taken their toll, with erosion and ecological succession deteriorating the earlier reconstruction. Ms. Nesbit and Dr. Johnson researched the original plant species, improved the garden’s soil structure and planted over 70 herb varieties. They enlarged a walkway across the garden to make the path wheelchair-accessible and created a map of the medical garden plantings for the public.
Dr. A. Daniel Johnson
West Salem Neighborhood Association
The West Salem Neighborhood Association has made itself a force for community preservation and enrichment. The group recently took on the issue of housing, leading a fight against illegal rooming houses. City Council agreed with these concerns and addressed the issue in its Unified Development Ordinances. The group also rose to the occasion in a fight against the proposed Park Place development. The association has published a book showing historic photos of the neighborhood and has become a flower sponsor for Granville Park, focusing on improving the portion of the neighborhood around the park. This past December, West Salem sponsored its first cottage tour to show neighborhood homes decorated for Christmas. The group’s web site also shows pictures to showcase the area’s wonderful homes. West Salem has been so successful that other neighborhoods have contacted them for suggestions.
John C. Larson
John Larson is the Vice-President of Restoration for Old Salem Museums and Gardens. Mr. Larson has been working for Old Salem for more than 15 years and has headed the restoration projects of the 1832 Timothy Vogler Gunsmith Shop, the 1821 Herbst House, and the 1861 St. Philips Church. He also headed the reconstruction of the 1823 log church and the Single Brothers 18th century gardens. The new 25,000 square foot visitor center was also built under his supervision. So that the craft and knowledge of old building traditions are passed down, Mr. Larson is also the co-director of the Old Salem/University of North Carolina at Greensboro Field School in Historic Building Technology. Mr. Larson has also been on the boards of Korner’s Folly, Keep Winston-Salem Beautiful, the Historic Properties Commission, the Wachovia Historical Society and the Bethania Historical Association. Mr. Larson was also a volunteer consultant for the Lloyd Presbyterian Restoration Project and volunteer advisor for the Idols Power Station Preservation Initiative and the Reynolda Road Preservation Initiative.
Hamilton C. Horton Award
Preserve Historic Forsyth
The Forsyth County Historic Resources Commission introduced a new award to memorialize and celebrate the life of one of Forsyth County’s most outstanding citizens in 2008. Hamilton C. Horton Jr. was an attorney by profession, a five-term North Carolina Senator, and was a strong champion of historic preservation. Simply put, for Senator Horton, the past was both a gift and a responsibility.Senator Horton led the earliest efforts to protect the historic Moravian town of Bethania. Encouraging its recognition as a historic resource, he laid the groundwork in the community for Bethania’s eventual National Register and National Historic Landmark listings. He and his wife, Evelyn, acquired and personally undertook the restoration of the 1830 John Jacob Schaub House, which had suffered from years of neglect. This significant property, which is now a Forsyth County Local Historic Landmark, has been called “one of the most important architectural monuments in Forsyth County.”Senator Horton served several terms on the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County/Kernersville Historic Properties Commission (the precursor to today’s Historic Resources Commission), and led the Commission as its Chairman from 1987-1989. At the statewide level, Senator Horton led the effort to create a state tax credit for the rehabilitation of historic properties. This legislation has resulted in more than $1 billion of historic rehabilitation since 1998.For decades, Ham Horton was an advisor, confidant, supporter, and leader of historic preservation in Forsyth County and throughout the state. He did so with dignity and eloquence, yet with a passion and belief that historic resources were of the utmost importance and worthy of our attention and best efforts.Senator Horton passed away in 2006 after a valiant battle with cancer. It is with the utmost respect that the Commission inaugurates the Hamilton C. Horton Jr. Award to recognize Forsyth County citizens who have made an invaluable contribution to the historic fabric of our community. There is no more fitting recipient of this first award than Ham.