Firearms that are eligible to be released to the rightful owner are done so only after the federally-mandated background check is completed. This requires the owner to complete an Application For Release of Firearm [pdf] and attest to the accuracy of the information contained therein. One application must be completed per firearm.
Note: Federal Law prohibits citizens from owning a firearm if any of the following apply:
- Has been convicted of, or is under indictment for, a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year
- Is a fugitive from justice
- Is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance
- Is underage
- Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution
- Is unlawfully in the United States or has been admitted to the U.S. under a nonimmigrant visa
- Has been dishonorably discharged from the military
- Has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship
- Is subject to a court order restraining him or her from harassing, stalking or threatening an intimate partner, his or her child or a child of a partner or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child
- Has been convicted of a misdemeanor offense of domestic violence
The owner should call (336) 726-7285 to schedule an appointment with Evidence Management staff to claim their property. The owner will need to provide a completed Firearm Application and proper photo identification. The background check can take up to one week to complete; once completed and the standards to release are met, an Evidence Specialist will contact the owner for pick-up.
Property can be retrieved at 1200 Patterson Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays.