Beginning Oct. 12, the Winston-Salem Police Department will implement a new practice to commemorate all slain police officers on the anniversaries of their deaths. The date marks the one-year anniversary of the death of Sgt. Mickey Hutchens.
Police Chief Scott Cunningham announced the new practice in a memorandum to all hands Oct. 5. "Seventeen members of the Winston-Salem Police Department have given their lives in the line of duty, Cunningham wrote. This ultimate sacrifice for the community should never be forgotten. Although we remember these officers during Law Enforcement Memorial Week, it is not enough….
"Commencing October 12th, and on the anniversary date of each line-of-duty death, all personnel will wear black bands on their badges. For those without badges, black ribbons will be appropriately worn on clothing. The Honor Guard will stand guard on these dates at the WSPD memorial outside of the Public Safety Center from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At 8 a.m. a wreath will be laid at the memorial…. This is one small way for us to perpetually pay tribute to these heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice."
Council Member Vivian H. Burke, the chair of the Public Safety Committee, said, "We can never do enough to honor our Winston-Salem police officers for what they do to make us safe in this community. We must also remember the families of these slain officers for the loss they endured on behalf of us all."
These dates will be observed:
- Jan. 3, 1983 - Police Officer Donald W. Allred
- Jan. 15, 1994 - Police Officer Robert Buitrago
- Jan. 29, 1993 - Police Officer Michael R. Jennings
- Feb. 23, 2007 - Sergeant Howard J. Plouff
- Feb. 28, 1995 - Police Officer Stephen L. Amos
- April 23, 1993 - Senior Police Officer Bobby F. Beane
- May 19, 1895 - Patrolman Michael M. Vickers
- June 26, 1992 - Lieutenant Aaron G. Tise
- Aug. 1, 1941 - Patrolman Gurney L. Royall
- Aug. 15, 1927 - Patrolman Thomas G. Anderson
- Sept. 9, 1961 - Patrolman Al C. Kinard
- Oct. 12, 2009 - Sergeant Mickey G. Hutchens
- Nov. 1, 1938 - Detective W. G. Willard
- Nov. 1, 1952 - Patrolman John F. Wimbish
- Nov. 24, 1945 - Patrolman Grover C. Hailey Jr.
- Dec. 8, 1940 - Patrolman John M. Sampson
- Dec. 26, 1927 - Sergeant Leland G. Teague
Police Department Memorial page