Officer Claudia Morgan, Coordinator
Phone: (336) 773-7939
Online Application - Deadline is March 17, 2014
Frequently Asked Questions
The Citizen's Police Academy is free of charge.
Citizen's Police Academy
When: Classes meet Thursday nights from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m., for 13 weeks, beginning April 3, 2014.
Where: Public Safety Center or Alexander R. Beaty Public Safety Training and Support Center
725 N. Cherry Street, Winston-Salem NC 27101 or 1200 N. Patterson Ave. Winston-Salem, NC 27102
- Open to applicants at least 18 years of age
- Must reside, work, or attend school in Forsyth County.
- Be able to make a commitment to the 13-week course. Those who attend 10 of the 13 sessions will be awarded a certificate of completion.
- A criminal history check will be conducted on each applicant. Applicants with felony convictions, misdemeanor convictions within past year, or a history of suspected criminal activity, arrests or convictions will not be considered.
- Accepted applicants are expected to wear appropriate casual attire to academy events, and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
- Accepted applicants will be issued identification badges that must be worn during all academy activities.
- Application review and acceptance may take several weeks. Deadline for application return is March 17, 2014.
The Citizen’s Police Academy offers citizens insights into how police officers perform their duties and how the department as a whole serves the community. The overall goal of the Academy is to improve police and community interaction. For this reason, the Winston-Salem Police Department has sponsored a Citizen’s Police Academy since the fall of 2000.
The ultimate goal of the Citizen Police Academy (CPA) is to educate the citizens of Winston-Salem about the operation of their police department while obtaining valuable feedback from those citizens.
Sessions include instruction in:
Violent Crimes Task Force
Police Communications and Technical Services
Subject Control / Use of Force
Major Crime Scene Investigation (practical)
F.A.T.S. (Firearms Training Simulator)
Vice & Narcotics
Special Enforcement Team Demonstration