Sustainability steps of Fleet Services
Existing Reduction Measures in Winston-Salem Government Operations
- Recycling – Fleet recycles as much as possible, including paper and cardboard, scrap metal, oil, antifreeze, other lubricants, tires, and batteries.
- Alternative Fuel Vehicles –purchases hybrids, E85, CNG, and electric vehicles.
- Remanufactured Parts – When feasible purchase remanufactured parts instead of new.
- Policies – Fuel management and vehicle acquisition policy developed to guide city purchases to help reduce and conserve fuel.
- Rightsizing Effort – City fleet being evaluated to assure each vehicle/equipment is right size for its function. Smaller vehicles usually mean fewer emissions.
- Waste Disposal – Contracts with licensed companies to dispose of hazardous materials.
Future Reduction Measures for Winston-Salem Government Operations
- More Alternative Fuels – Plans are to use biodiesel (B20)
- Fleet Utilization Policy – Vehicle utilization being evaluated to possibly reduce the size of fleet.
- More Alternative Fuel Vehicles – Plans are to pursue more electrics and hybrids.
- “Green Cleaning Methods” – Investigate more eco-friendly cleaning materials to replace items such as solvents for cleaning automotive parts.
- Extending Maintenance Schedules – Fewer PM services would reduce the need for oil.
Read the Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Local Action Plan to Reduce Emissions Report July 2008 [pdf/1mb/43p]