Recreation and Parks
Recreation and Parks provides activities for people of all ages through recreation centers, parks, greenways, pools, historical sites, golf courses, and other facilities. As you begin to fill in your family calendar, don’t forget to include the recreational opportunities the city is offering this season. We look forward to seeing you in our parks and programs!
News & Updates
- Are you a good swimmer? If so, Recreation & Parks is offering lifeguard classes to citizens 16 years of age and up! For more information, contact Dick Butler at (336) 734-1212 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salem Lake has new hours! Visit here for the new times!
- The 2014 Forsyth Invitational Tournament dates have been established! Forsyth Invitational Dates [pdf/30kp/1p]
-NOTE: Tournaments are open to Forsyth County Residents only. Applications will be made available one month before the deadline & will be distributed in the following manner: to all area golf courses, on our web site, and via mail to previous 2013 participants. The deadline to enter each tournament is one week before the tournament date.
- Sign up today to participate in the Boys & Girls Basketball & Cheerleading League at Carl H. Russell, Sr. Community Center. Ages 4-14. Fee $30. For more information, contact (336) 727-2580.
- Be sure to sign up for the Co-ed Elite Winter Basketball League at W.R. Anderson Community Center. Ages 3-15. Fee: $40.
- W.R. Anderson Community Center will be offering and Adult Basketball league for ages 25+. Fee: $150. For more information, contact (336) 650-7684.
- 2014 WePLAY Fall/Winter Magazine [pdf/30kb/24p]
- Check out the Greenway Plan! [pdf/30kb/2p]
- The computer lab at Black Phillips Smith Government Center is free and open to the public! Assistance with the computers is available!
- The NORTH CAROLINA SENIOR GAMES and The Piedmont Plus Senior Games are redefining the age requirement for participation to 50 years old and better. Help us spread the word!
- Get Involved...Adopt-a-Park!
- Memory Trees & Benches
- Recreation and Parks Commission
- Visit the Cricket's Nest Craft Shop
The portion of Salem Creek Greenway between South Main and Vargrave streets will be closed in early February for construction of the Salem Creek Connector. The closure is estimated to be in place for 18 months.
Greenway users will be detoured around the construction zone by using Salem Avenue, Rams Drive and Vargrave Street. The detour route has a completely connected sidewalk network for pedestrians. Improvements are being made along the detour route to make it better able to accommodate bicyclists:
- Rams Drive is being reconfigured to create a “cycle track” that provides a two-way bicycle path on the street that is
separated by posts from the motor vehicle lanes. This is the first use of a cycle track in North Carolina.
- Shared lane markings are being installed on Vargrave Street to alert motorists that they must share the road with bicycles.
A new connection from Vargrave Street to the Salem Creek Greenway is under construction and will remain in place after
the detour is lifted.
- Bicyclists will use the existing bike lanes on Salem Avenue. The intersection of Rams Drive and Salem Avenue is
being reconfigured to make the crossing as safe as possible for cyclists.
A map of the detour route will be posted online at DOT.CityofWS.org. Other sections of the Salem Creek Greenway remain open and will not be affected by construction. The Salem Creek Connector is a new, four lane road that will run between Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and the intersection of Research Parkway and Rams Drive. Salem Creek Greenway Detour Map [pdf/1.06mb/1p]
Winston-Salem Recreation & Parks and Janice Price-Black have formed a partnership/collaboration to educate children about the world of Performing Arts. This collaboration will offer young people, the community, and daycare centers classes in ballet technique, lyrical, liturgical dance, Tap, private Voice, Musical Theatre, and beginner piano. The Performing Arts Program will begin February 3, 2014, and will be located at The ML King, Jr. Center on 2001 Pittsburg Avenue Winston Salem. Registration is going on now. Early registration is strongly advised.
Performing Arts Program Flier [pdf/30kb/1p]
Performing Arts Brochure [pdf/30kb/1p]
Performing Arts Registration Form [pdf/30kb/1p]
Inclement Weather Information