A public ceremony will be held Saturday, April 27, to rename the tennis courts at Kimberley Park in honor of Charles and Ruth Archie and their nine children, who learned to play tennis on the courts and became a dominant force in the sport at all levels of amateur competition.
The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. and will be held at the courts, at the intersection of North Cherry Street and Northwest Crawford Place. A weather-proof display documenting their achievements will be unveiled during the ceremony.
Growing up across the street from the courts and instilled with a love of the game by their father, the Archie children showed an early aptitude for tennis that was developed through youth programs at the Kimberley Park Recreation Center.
All nine Archie children excelled in youth tennis competitions, and six of the nine went on to compete in regional, state and national tournaments. Edwin Archie won doubles title with Arthur Ashe in the 1955 Junior National Tennis Tournament and his brother Richard reached the finals of the Western N.C. High School District Tennis Tournament of Negro High Schools in 1956.
Marvis Jean Archie won the Junior Nationals singles titles in 1963 and her sister Carolyn reached the semi-finals in 1958. Twins Elvita and Conita Archie dominated girls tennis in North Carolina from 1965 through 1967, winning singles and doubles titles each year in the N.C. Athletic Conference Tournament.
In recognition of their achievements, in 1985 Carolyn and Marvis Jean Archie were the first female athletes to be inducted into the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County High School Hall of Fame. Conita Archie was inducted in 1987 and Elvita Archie was inducted in 1992.