Please read the current swimwear requirements to enter all city-operated swimming pool areas, including Winston Waterworks, below.
Pool Rules & Requirements
View pool rules (except Winston Waterworks) [pdf]
View Winston Waterworks rules [pdf]
Life Jackets and Swim Test requirements
Proper Swimming Attire
- In order to gain entry into the pool area, you must be clothed in proper swim attire. Download full-size swim attire poster [pdf/1.6mb/1p].
- Clean white t-shirts may be worn over proper swim attire.
- Colored t-shirts will not be allowed in the pool.
- All infants/toddlers that require a diaper must wear swimmer diapers and proper swimwear.
- City pools are family friendly. All swim wear must be appropriate.
The following attire is NOT proper swim attire for a City swimming pool and will not be allowed.
- Athletic/Basketball shorts
- Cargo pants
- Denim shorts/cut-offs
- Male or female undergarments, sports bras (unless designed to go in water), underwear, or boxers
- Socks or shoes
- Non-Coast Guard approved flotation suits
Pool patrons often ask, "Why do I have to wear proper swimwear?" Here are just a few reasons:
- Street clothes can be dirty and will add dirt to the pools water. They can also transport airborne contaminants and fecal matter, which will contaminate the pool water. Cotton can also break down in the water and clog the filters.
- Cotton and similar materials can absorb the chemicals in the water, causing the water to become less effective at maintaining the proper chemical balance or may cloud the water.
- Any "colored" or "dyed" material (unless specifically made for swimming) can bleed into the pool, affecting water chemistry and balance. (This is also a reason for turbidity in pools.)
- Swim suit material is generally made of Lycra and Nylon which are the best non-absorbent material for swimming and are the best fabrics for proper swim attire.
Day Care, Day Camp or Other Adult-Supervised Group Visits
- All Day Cares, Day Camps or any other groups where kids are supervised by adults, wishing to swim at a City-operated swimming pool, must contact the Recreation & Parks office prior to arriving at the pool.
Other Rules and Policies
- No refunds or rain checks due to weather.
- Aquatics accept all responsibility for risk when entering a city aquatic facility.
See the Aquatics Calendar for pools information.