Recreation and Parks
Recreation and Parks provides activities for people of all ages through recreation centers, parks, greenways, pools, historical sites, golf courses, and other facilities. As you begin to fill in your family calendar, don’t forget to include the recreational opportunities the city is offering this season. We look forward to seeing you in our parks and programs!
News & Updates
Check out the 2014 Fall/Winter Edition of our WePLAY Magazine! [pdf/7.3kb/24p]
- The tennis courts at Leinbach Park are now opened for play.
- Special Olympics Forsyth County is having its annual apparel sale. This year we are offering hooded sweatshirts for $25/each, and long sleeve t-shirts for $15/each. These items make great gifts for the holiday season. Proceeds from these items will be used to purchase equipment and uniforms for 16 different sports. Orders may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and paid for with cash or check at pick-up, or just come by to see what is available. Pick-up hours are Monday- Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Black Phillips Smith Government Center, 2301 N. Patterson Ave.; or Saturdays, 10 a.m. to noon at Miller Park Recreation Center, 400 Leisure Lane.
- The tennis courts at Polo Park, South Fork Park, and Reynolds Park have been completed and are now ready for use.
- Work has started on the pedestrian bridges (Hole #3 and Hole #5) at Winston Lake Golf Course. The front side (Holes 1-9) will remain closed to allow for this work to be completed around December 17, weather permitting. The back side (Holes 10-18) will be closed immediately after the bridge work has been completed on the front side. All bridges should be completed by January 2014.
- Here are 10 reasons why we are thankful for Recreation & Parks! Be sure to read our listing [pdf/2kb/1p]!
- The 22nd Annual Citywide Peace Toys for War Toys event will be Friday, December 19, at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex at 6:30 p.m. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and registration will end at 6:45 p.m. See flier for further information [pdf/2kb/2p].
- Joe White Tennis Center will be closed December 25-28 and January 1-2, 2015.
- Starting November 3 through February 23, 2015, Salem Lake hours will be Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sign-ups for the Boys & Girls Basketball & Cheerleading Leagues at Carl H. Russell, Sr. Community Center have begun! The last day to register is December 28, 2014. League play will start January 17, 2015. Don't miss out! Contact Ben Piggott at (336) 727-2580 for more information.
- Salem Lake hours
- Check out the Greenway Plan! [pdf/30kb/2p]
- The computer lab at Black Phillips Smith Government Center is free and open to the public! Assistance with the computers is available!
- The NORTH CAROLINA SENIOR GAMES and The Piedmont Plus Senior Games are redefining the age requirement for participation to 50 years old and better. Help us spread the word!
- Get Involved...Adopt-a-Park!
- Memory Trees & Benches
- Recreation and Parks Commission
- Visit the Cricket's Nest Craft Shop
Project Update for Salem Creek Connector
Inclement Weather Information