Local Action Plan to Reduce Emissions of Greenhouse Gases
Sustainability steps of the Sanitation Division
Existing Reduction Measures in Winston-Salem Government Operations
- Curbside recycling program provides collection service to single family homes, multifamily dwellings, and small businesses. Program collects the following materials:
- Aluminum Beverage Cans; Steel Food, Beverage, and Aerosol Cans; Glass Jars/Bottles (clear, green, brown); Plastic Bottles (with small necks only); Newspaper; Magazines; Telephone Directories; Junk Mail & Office Paper; Chipboard (cereal boxes, paper towel rolls, etc.) and Corrugated Cardboard.
- Provide cardboard-only drop-off sites at nine city fire stations.
- Education/promotion activities (brochures, container decals, promotional items, presentations, newspaper, radio, television ads; website, special events, etc.)
- Promote reducing unwanted junk mail.
- Provide in-house recycling program for paper, metal, plastic, and glass.
- Provide recycling of inkjet/laser toner cartridges and cell phones.
- Promote Dell/Goodwill Reconnect computer recycling program.
Read the Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Local Action Plan to Reduce Emissions Report July 2008 [pdf/1mb/43p]