2040 Metropolitan Transportation Plan
The Winston-Salem Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) has developed the Draft 2040 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP), the Draft Air Quality Conformity Analysis Report, and the Draft Fiscal Years 2016-2025 Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP).
The plan includes Piedmont Triad regional overview; all modes of transportation, freight considerations, human and natural environment factors, and fiscally constrained funding schedule for project implementation.
The documents are available on the 2040 Metro Transportation Plan page, all libraries and municipal buildings in the MPO. The review and comment period from July 16 and runs through August 20, 2015.
Please provide written comments by email to Fredrick Haith, fax at (336) 748-3370 or mail to the Winston-Salem Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 2511, Winston-Salem, NC 27102.
Old Salem Infrastructure Improvements
Most of the sidewalks within the Old Salem area are constructed of brick or stone and have been displaced due to large trees, some of which have exceeded their life expectancy or are otherwise in poor condition. This project will reconstruct sidewalks in a way that maintains the historic character of Old Salem in conformance with American with Disabilities Act (ADA) sidewalk requirements for historic preservation districts; evaluate the removal and replacement of trees as recommended by a certified arborist; and street lighting options will also be evaluated.
For further information, please contact:
Connie James, City of Winston-Salem Deputy Director of Transportation at email@example.com
- Union Cross Road Project
- Silver Creek Trail at the intersection of Union Cross Road is permanently closed as of July 23, 2014. Silver Creek Trail will be barricaded in the short term until the cul-de-sac can be installed in the coming months per the project plans. Three portable message signs have been placed on site near the intersection to advise area residents of the closure.
- Salem Creek Greenway Detour
- The portion of the Salem Creek Greenway between Main Street and Vargrave Street is closed for construction of the Salem Creek Connector. The closure began in March 2014 and is estimated to be in place for 18 months.
- More information about the detour is available on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- Salem Creek Connector Project
- Diggs Boulevard/South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive intersection is permanently closed as of January 2, 2014.
- U.S. 52 interchange with Vargrave Street is permanently closed as of January 6, 2014.
- Find out more on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
Road, Sidewalk and Parking Closures
- 5th Street, Patterson Avenue to Research Parkway
July 6, 2015 - August 2, 2015
The contractor working on the renovation of the former Reynolds Building has been given permission to close 5th Street between Patterson Avenue and Research Parkway beginning July 6, 2015, through August 2, 2015. Multiple trades will be working during this timeframe including work on the overhead walkway and underground utilities. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control including detours.
- 4th Street, Main Street to Church Street
July 24 - 25, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close 4th Street between Main Street and Church Street beginning July 24 after 6:00 p.m. until July 25 at 2:00 p.m. to utilize a crane to hoist building materials onto the building under renovation. If needed, the contractor is approved to resume the road closure on July 26 from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control, including detours.
- Church Street, 4th Street to 5th Street
July 28, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close Church Street between 4th and 5th Streets on July 28 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to utilize a crane to hoist materials onto the building under renovation. Access to the Church Street entrance to the parking deck will be maintained from 5th Street. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control.