Cycling Fun Day
Cycling Fun Day is a new event to be held on Saturday, August 16, 2014, to celebrate the conclusion of the Solar Bear Ride to raise money for Cancer Services. Also sponsoring the event are the City of Winston-Salem Bicycle & Pedestrian Program, the Winston-Salem Journal, Novant Health, and the Forsyth County Department of Public Health.
This year’s celebration will include free, fun activities for all cycling abilities as well as for walkers and skaters:
9:00 a.m. - Solar Bear Finale 40-mile bike ride, open to the public -- FREE
10:30 a.m. - Solar Bear Finale 10-mile bike ride around the city, open to the public -- FREE
12:00 noon - 3:00 p.m. - Public celebration for everyone of the Solar Bear Ride benefiting Cancer Services -- FREE
- Some downtown streets will be closed to motor vehicles so people can enjoy biking, walking or skating without traffic: Poplar Street, 4-1/2 Street, Spring Street, and Holly Avenue.
- 4th Street will be blocked off for exhibitors and free food for participants who have registered for the events. Registration tables will be at either end of 4th Street where it connects to Poplar or Spring streets.
- The Winston-Salem Journal is providing FREE live music and food.
- Cancer Services is sponsoring a Cancer Awareness Scavenger Hunt and will provide prizes. Winners do not have to be present to receive a prize.
- A special Children’s Area will feature a Bike Rodeo conducted by the Winston-Salem Police Department Downtown Bike Patrol, helmet fittings and other fun activities.
You can read about last year’s Solar Bear Ride on the Winston-Salem Journal’s website.
Everyone is encouraged to bike or walk to the event, if possible. If you do drive, on-street parking is available outside of the event area that is closed to traffic.