June 2014 Transportation Planning Documents Review
The Winston-Salem Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) released several documents for public review from June 12 - July 11, 2014. The documents include Strategic Transportation Investments (STI) projects and Draft STI Local Input Point Assignments, Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP) Amendments and Modifications for June 2014, and project U-2827B (I-40 Business) Air Quality Conformity Document Short Form. See the documents.
Urban Circulator Draft Alternative Analysis Report
The final draft of the Urban Circulator Alternative Analysis Report has been produced, and is now going before City Council for consideration. Find out more about the Urban Circulator Study.
New Winston-Salem Urban Area MPO Boundary
The new Metropolitan Area Boundary (MAB) and Smoother Urbanized Area Boundary (UAB) for the Winston-Salem Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) based on the 2010 United States Census have been approved by the State of North Carolina. See the new boundaries on the MPO web page.
- Union Cross Road Project
- Silver Creek Trail at the intersection of Union Cross Road is permanently closed as of July 23, 2014. Silver Creek Trail will be barricaded in the short term until the cul-de-sac can be installed in the coming months per the project plans. Three portable message signs have been placed on site near the intersection to advise area residents of the closure.
- Salem Creek Greenway Detour
- The portion of the Salem Creek Greenway between Main Street and Vargrave Street is closed for construction of the Salem Creek Connector. The closure began in March 2014 and is estimated to be in place for 18 months.
- More information about the detour is available on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- Salem Creek Connector Project
- Diggs Boulevard/South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive intersection is permanently closed as of January 2, 2014.
- U.S. 52 interchange with Vargrave Street is permanently closed as of January 6, 2014.
- Find out more on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- West Fourth Street (westbound lane), North Spring Street to North Broad Street
August 1 & 4, 2014
A contractor has been given permission to close the westbound lane of West Fourth Street between North Spring Street and North Broad Street on August 1 and August 4, 2014, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to abandon water lines. Traffic will be channelized to maintain two way traffic. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control.
- West Fourth Street, North Marshall Street to North Spruce Street
August 3, 2014
A contractor has been given permission to close West Fourth Street between North Marshall Street and North Spruce Street on August 3, 2014, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. to utilize a crane to hoist HVAC equipment onto the Stevens Center. Off-duty police officers will be used to handle traffic control.
- Intersection, Reynolds Boulevard and Indiana Avenue
August 13, 2014
A contractor has been given permission to close the intersection of Reynolds Boulevard and Indiana Avenue on August 13, 2014, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to replace the crossing. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control and detours.
Sidewalk and Parking Closures
- Old County Courthouse, North Main Street, North Liberty Street, West Third Street and West Fourth Street
Beginning March 31, 2014
The contractor redeveloping the old County Courthouse located between North Main Street, North Liberty Street, West Third Street and West Fourth Street will begin construction on Monday, March 31, 2014. Fencing will be installed around the site blocking the on-street parking and sidewalks. Signs will be installed advising pedestrians to use the sidewalks opposite the site.