June 2014 Transportation Planning Documents Review
The Winston-Salem Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) released several documents for public review from June 12 - July 11, 2014. The documents include Strategic Transportation Investments (STI) projects and Draft STI Local Input Point Assignments, Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP) Amendments and Modifications for June 2014, and project U-2827B (I-40 Business) Air Quality Conformity Document Short Form. See the MPO documents.
Urban Circulator Draft Alternative Analysis Report
The final draft of the Urban Circulator Alternative Analysis Report has been produced, and is now going before City Council for consideration. Find out more about the Urban Circulator Study.
New Winston-Salem Urban Area MPO Boundary
The new Metropolitan Area Boundary (MAB) and Smoother Urbanized Area Boundary (UAB) for the Winston-Salem Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) based on the 2010 United States Census have been approved by the State of North Carolina. See the new boundaries on the MPO web page.
- Union Cross Road Project
- Silver Creek Trail at the intersection of Union Cross Road is permanently closed as of July 23, 2014. Silver Creek Trail will be barricaded in the short term until the cul-de-sac can be installed in the coming months per the project plans. Three portable message signs have been placed on site near the intersection to advise area residents of the closure.
- Salem Creek Greenway Detour
- The portion of the Salem Creek Greenway between Main Street and Vargrave Street is closed for construction of the Salem Creek Connector. The closure began in March 2014 and is estimated to be in place for 18 months.
- More information about the detour is available on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- Salem Creek Connector Project
- Diggs Boulevard/South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive intersection is permanently closed as of January 2, 2014.
- U.S. 52 interchange with Vargrave Street is permanently closed as of January 6, 2014.
- Find out more on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- West Fifth Street (lane shift), Trade Street to North Main Street
August 23-28, 2014
The contractor in the Magnolia Parking Deck sidewalk closure (below) is unable to do all the required work from the sidewalk. A lane shift on West Fifth Street between Trade Street and Main Street for westbound traffic will be required. Two-way traffic will be maintained and lane closures will be between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., beginning August 23-28, 2014. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control.
- North Broad Street (one northbound lane), West Fourth Street to Fourth and 1/2 Street
August 26-29, 2014
A contractor has been given permission to close one of the northbound lanes of North Broad Street at West Fourth Street to replace sidewalk adjacent to the building currently under construction. The lane will be closed between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on August 26-27, 2014. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control. UPDATE: An additional request has been received from a cleaning contractor to extend the lane closure for two additional days, August 28-29, 2014. The same restrictions as before are in place.
Sidewalk and Parking Closures
- Magnolia Parking Deck, West Fifth Street, North Liberty Street and North Main Street
Beginning August 21, 2014
A contractor has been given permission to close the sidewalk around the Magnolia Parking Deck ( formerly the Liberty Main Parking Deck ) beginning on August 21, 2014, for approximately 2 weeks. Portions of the work will be done on the weekends. The contractor is responsible for all traffic and pedestrian control.