Business 40 Downtown Street Study - Open House Follow-up
The City of Winston-Salem is working with Davenport, a local engineering firm, to perform the Business 40 Downtown Street Study. The study was requested by City Council to examine the viability, traffic impacts, and costs of implementing street conversions from one-way to two-way operation; to assess the parking impacts, pedestrian crossings, and downtown access to businesses; to examine traffic calming based on the project changes in access; to evaluate directional signing needs; and to determine pedestrian and bicycle accommodations in the project study area.
The city and Davenport held an Open House to kick off the study on Thursday, March 5, 2015. Thanks to Old Salem for hosting the meeting. Davenport has launched a project website to provide information and solicit public comments. The “Get Involved” page includes a link to the project survey and an interactive map where the community can post comments.
Please visit the Business 40 Downtown Street Study site and let us know what you value.
Call for Projects
Job Access/Reverse Commute (JARC) (Section 5307) grant
Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities (Section 5310) grant
The Federal Transit Administration has announced that the Winston-Salem Urban Area will receive federal transportation funds to assist eligible agencies in meeting the transportation needs of low income, disabled and elderly populations. Project proposals are being accepted for funding under the Job Access/Reverse Commute (JARC) (Section 5307) and Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities (Section 5310) grant program.
- Applications will be due no later than Monday, April 6, 2015, at 5:00 p.m.
- A public workshop for preparing grant applications has been scheduled for Wednesday, March 18, 2015, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. in Meeting Room 1 at the Forsyth County Department of Public Health, 799 North Highland Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC 27102
- Find out more about or apply for the JARC and Section 5310 grants
- Union Cross Road Project
- Silver Creek Trail at the intersection of Union Cross Road is permanently closed as of July 23, 2014. Silver Creek Trail will be barricaded in the short term until the cul-de-sac can be installed in the coming months per the project plans. Three portable message signs have been placed on site near the intersection to advise area residents of the closure.
- Salem Creek Greenway Detour
- The portion of the Salem Creek Greenway between Main Street and Vargrave Street is closed for construction of the Salem Creek Connector. The closure began in March 2014 and is estimated to be in place for 18 months.
- More information about the detour is available on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- Salem Creek Connector Project
- Diggs Boulevard/South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive intersection is permanently closed as of January 2, 2014.
- U.S. 52 interchange with Vargrave Street is permanently closed as of January 6, 2014.
- Find out more on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
Road, Sidewalk and Parking Closures
- Vine Street, Piedmont Leaf Lots to East Fifth Street
East Fifth Street Sidewalk, adjacent to the former Reynolds #60 building
Beginning November 20, 2014; Sidewalk beginning December 5, 2014
A contractor working on the renovation of the former Reynolds #60 building has closed Vine Street from the bridge over East Fifth Street south to Piedmont Leaf Lofts. Beginning December 5, 2014, the sidewalk adjacent to the building #60 along East Fifth Street will be fenced and closed for the duration of the project.
- Marshall Street, 4th Street to 5th Street
March 19 - April 22, 2015
The University of North Carolina School of the Arts has been given permission to park two 53' trailers in the on-street parking spaces on the west side of Marshall Street, between 4th Street and 5th Street from March 19, 2015 until April 22, 2015, to assist with a school production.
- 4th Street, Main Street to Church Street
March 27 - 29, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close 4th Street between Main Street and Church Street beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, March 27 until 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 29 to utilize a crane to hoist materials onto the roof of the Reynolds Tower. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control including detours.
- 5th Street, Patterson Avenue to Linden Street
March 23 - 25, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close 5th Street between Patterson Avenue and Linden Street on March 23, 2015 until March 25, 2015 to inspect and make any needed repairs to an overhead walkway over 5th Street. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control and detours.
- Church Street, Fourth Street to Fifth Street
March 30, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close Church Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets on Monday, March 30, 2015 between the hours of 8:30 am - 4:30 pm to utilize a crane to do repair work on the sign attached to the Reynolds building. Access will be maintained to the parking deck. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control.