Winston-Salem Safe Routes to School and Bicycle/Pedestrian Consultant
The City of Winston-Salem Department of Transportation wishes to engage a qualified consulting firm to manage the city's Safe Routes to School program and the planning and marketing of bicycle and pedestrian program activities. Request for Letters of Interest [pdf/220kb/3p]. For more information, please call (336) 747-6884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winston-Salem Downtown Street Study Public Information Meeting
Tuesday, June 16, 2015 from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Old Salem Visitor Center, Gray Auditorium
900 Old Salem Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Transportation planners will hold a drop-in session to present preliminary findings and proposed concepts for changes in downtown streets that would take effect when Business I-40 is rebuild. It is a follow-up to the meeting held on May 28 to gather public input.
The study is assessing the effects of the potential conversion of Liberty, Main, First and Second streets to two-way traffic, and improvements that the conversion might require relating to parking, pedestrians, bicycles, business access, signs and more.
In addition to the Downtown Street Study, planners will also present Business 40 renderings and a flyover of the corridor showing the bridges, retaining walls, noise wall concepts and parallel multi-use path.
There will be no formal presentation. Residents may drop in any time. For more information call CityLink 311.
Old Salem Infrastructure Improvements
Most of the sidewalks within the Old Salem area are constructed of brick or stone and have been displaced due to large trees, some of which have exceeded their life expectancy or are otherwise in poor condition. This project will reconstruct sidewalks in a way that maintains the historic character of Old Salem in conformance with American with Disabilities Act (ADA) sidewalk requirements for historic preservation districts; evaluate the removal and replacement of trees as recommended by a certified arborist; and street lighting options will also be evaluated.
For further information, please contact:
Connie James, City of Winston-Salem Deputy Director of Transportation at email@example.com
- Union Cross Road Project
- Silver Creek Trail at the intersection of Union Cross Road is permanently closed as of July 23, 2014. Silver Creek Trail will be barricaded in the short term until the cul-de-sac can be installed in the coming months per the project plans. Three portable message signs have been placed on site near the intersection to advise area residents of the closure.
- Salem Creek Greenway Detour
- The portion of the Salem Creek Greenway between Main Street and Vargrave Street is closed for construction of the Salem Creek Connector. The closure began in March 2014 and is estimated to be in place for 18 months.
- More information about the detour is available on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- Salem Creek Connector Project
- Diggs Boulevard/South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive intersection is permanently closed as of January 2, 2014.
- U.S. 52 interchange with Vargrave Street is permanently closed as of January 6, 2014.
- Find out more on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
Road, Sidewalk and Parking Closures
- 28th Street, Glenn Avenue to Farmall Street
Ivy Avenue, 27th Street to 30th Street
June 1 - 28, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close East 28th Street between Glenn Avenue and Farmall Street and is inclusive of a “local traffic only” of Ivy Avenue in order to execute storm drainage and utility work. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control.
- 4th Street (westbound lane) at Vine Street
June 22 - 26, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close the westbound lane of 4th Street near Vine Street from June 22, 2015 through June 26, 2015, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., to perform maintenance work on the Winston Leaf Lofts Building. Flaggers will be used to control traffic. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control.
- 5th Street, Patterson Avenue to Research Parkway
July 6, 2015 - August 2, 2015
The contractor working on the renovation of the former Reynolds Building has been given permission to close 5th Street between Patterson Avenue and Research Parkway beginning July 6, 2015 through August 2, 2015. Multiple trades will be working during this timeframe including work on the overhead walkway and underground utilities. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control including detours.
- Buena Vista Road, Oaklawn Avenue to Arbor Road
July 14, 2015
A contractor has been given permission to close Buena Vista Road between Oaklawn Avenue and Arbor Road on July 14, 2015, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, to utilize a crane to remove a large tree from 2202 Buena Vista Road. The contractor is responsible for all traffic control including detours.