June 2014 Transportation Planning Documents Review
The Winston-Salem Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) released several documents for public review from June 12 - July 11, 2014. The documents include Strategic Transportation Investments (STI) projects and Draft STI Local Input Point Assignments, Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP) Amendments and Modifications for June 2014, and project U-2827B (I-40 Business) Air Quality Conformity Document Short Form. See the documents.
Urban Circulator Draft Alternative Analysis Report
The final draft of the Urban Circulator Alternative Analysis Report has been produced, and is now going before City Council for consideration. Find out more about the Urban Circulator Study.
New Winston-Salem Urban Area MPO Boundary
The new Metropolitan Area Boundary (MAB) and Smoother Urbanized Area Boundary (UAB) for the Winston-Salem Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) based on the 2010 United States Census have been approved by the State of North Carolina. See the new boundaries on the MPO web page.
- Union Cross Road Project
- Silver Creek Trail at the intersection of Union Cross Road will be permanently closed as of July 23, 2014. Silver Creek Trail will be barricaded in the short term until the cul-de-sac can be installed in the coming months per the project plans. Three portable message signs have been placed on site near the intersection to advise area residents of the closure.
- Salem Creek Greenway Detour
- The portion of the Salem Creek Greenway between Main Street and Vargrave Street is closed for construction of the Salem Creek Connector. The closure began in March 2014 and is estimated to be in place for 18 months.
- More information about the detour is available on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- Salem Creek Connector Project
- Diggs Boulevard/South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive intersection is permanently closed as of January 2, 2014.
- U.S. 52 interchange with Vargrave Street is permanently closed as of January 6, 2014.
- Find out more on the Salem Creek Connector project page.
- North Cherry Street (some lanes), Mast General Store construction site
July 29, 2014
A contractor has been given permission to close lanes on North Cherry Street to install an irrigation system water service line to the Mast General Store construction site. They will complete the work with alternating lane closures between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Monday, July 28, 2014. At least one lane will remain open at all times. They expect to be able to complete the work in one day, weather permitting. UPDATE: The contractor was unable to complete the work on July 28, and work will continue on July 29, beginning at 9:00 a.m. The work is expected to be completed on the same day.
- Yorkshire Road, Shoreland Road to Wellington Road
July 29, 2014
A contractor will be closing Yorkshire Road between Shoreland Road and Wellington Road to remove a tree on July 29, 2014, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., or until work is complete. Off-duty police will be redirecting traffic.
Sidewalk and Parking Closures
- Old County Courthouse, North Main Street, North Liberty Street, West Third Street and West Fourth Street
Beginning March 31, 2014
The contractor redeveloping the old County Courthouse located between North Main Street, North Liberty Street, West Third Street and West Fourth Street will begin construction on Monday, March 31, 2014. Fencing will be installed around the site blocking the on-street parking and sidewalks. Signs will be installed advising pedestrians to use the sidewalks opposite the site.