The Winston-Salem Urban Area 2035 Transportation Plan Update (also the Long Rnge Transportation Plan, or LRTP) is a comprehensive plan for the total transportation system encompassing each mode: transit, rail, bicycle, pedestrian, airport and streets and highways. The LRTP must be fiscally constrained and meet air quality conformity standards for the 2035 horizon year. The LRTP shares population and employment growth assumptions and transportation modeling projections with the Regional Transportation Plan.
At each step in the transportation planning process there are opportunities for public involvement. Citizens were involved in establishing Goals and Objects for the LRTP, a Citizens Advisory Council met to review and make recommendations on the land use and transportation assumptions for the Regional Transportation Plan and public review of the existing and proposed LRTP was incorporated into the update. As transportation alternatives are proposed, community meetings and open houses are held to gather public input. The Winston-Salem Department of Transportation web site provides a forum for information and feedback.
Transportation Plan Goals
- Streets and Highways: Develop an efficient street and highway network which meets the short and long term needs and aspirations of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.
- Public Transportation: Promote a safe, efficient and diverse public transportation system accessible to all segments of the urban area.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Transportation: Develop a transportation system which allows for and encourages the use of walking and bicycling as viable, ecologically sound alternatives to motor vehicles.
- Rail and Air Transportation: Maximize rail and air travel and transport opportunities.
- The Environment: Develop a transportation system which preserves and enhances the natural and built environments.
- Financial: Coordinate all transportation modes to make the most efficient use of limited public resources.