Utilities News

The Fulton Family YMCA on Hanes Mill Road called 911 and evacuated the building about 12:45 p.m. today when a landfill gas detector installed in the building sounded an alarm. The building is next to the Hanes Mill Road landfill operated by the City-County Utility Commission.

The Hanes Mill Road Landfill staff and the Fire Department found no evidence of explosive gas and determined that the cause was a failing gas detector. The faulty gas detector was replaced this afternoon.

The Fulton YMCA is the closest building to the landfill and several years ago, the commission installed several explosive gas detectors throughout the YMCA. As an added precaution, monitoring wells are located around the perimeter and are tested periodically.

 

Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Citizen Notification System

City Link 311

Dixie Classic Fairgrounds Farmers Market