Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) and Electronic Waste (E-Waste) Disposal Facility
There are some chemical wastes from our homes that should not be disposed in the everyday trash although it is legal to do so. If disposed in the trash, these materials end up in a landfill and may cause groundwater contamination or other environmental damage in the future. They also pose an immediate health threat to sanitation workers who handle them unawares. The Enviro-Station is the responsible disposal alternative for these materials.
Forsyth County residents may take certain wastes (see below) commonly known as household hazardous wastes (HHW), at the Enviro-Station. This is a free service provided to residents of Forsyth County by the City of Winston-Salem Utilities and Stormwater Divisions.
Commercial, industrial, or business waste is not accepted free of charge at The Enviro-Station. However, 3RC (Resource, Recovery and Reduction Company), the company that operates the Enviro-Station, is a permitted hazardous waste disposal facility and can accept commercial, industrial and business waste for a fee. For more information on the services offered to the business community by 3RC, please call 784-4300.
Directions to the Enviro-Station
From Highway 52 North and South, take the Rams Drive (Stadium Drive) exit. Turn left onto Rams Drive (Stadium Drive). At the first intersection, turn right onto Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. Travel approximately 1/2 mile and the facility is on the left across from Bowman Gray Stadium and the Hertz Rental Company. The address is
1401 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Winston-Salem NC
The Enviro-Station Operating Hours
The Enviro-Station is open year-round Wednesday - Saturday from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. and Closed on Sunday - Tuesday.
The Enviro-Station is closed on the following Holiday times:
New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and the Saturday following New Year's Day; Good Friday; Saturday before Easter Sunday, Saturday before Memorial Day; Memorial Day, July 4th (if July 4th is on a Monday or Friday, then the Saturday after the Friday or before the Monday is also a holiday); Saturday before Labor Day; Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday and Saturday following Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the Saturday following Christmas Day.
Contact The Enviro-Station at (336) 784-4300
Important safety tips about household hazardous wastes
- Never dump household hazardous wastes into storm drains or streams or flush them down the toilet.
- Keep the waste items separate (do not mix) and in their original containers whenever possible.
- If the container label is unreadable or a material is in a different container from the original, label it if you know for certain what it is.
- If you have a material that is not listed below that you wish to bring to the Enviro-Station, call first and explain what it is. It may save you an unnecessary trip if it may be disposed in the regular trash.
- Before delivering materials to the Enviro-Station, place the containers in a cardboard box lined with newspapers.
- When you arrive at the Enviro-Station, do not leave your vehicle. An attendant will ask for proof of Forsyth County residency (driver’s license) and ask you to fill out a short form while he/she removes the materials from your vehicle.
- If you bring waste in a container that you want back tell the attendant and your request will be accommodated.
Materials accepted at the Enviro-Station
The following HHW materials are accepted free of charge from residents of Forsyth County.
|All purpose cleaners
|Car wax w/solvents
||Rubber cement thinner
||Toilet bowl cleaner
||Tub & tile cleaners
|Dry cleaning solvents
||Used motor oil
||Nail polish remover
The following E-wastes are accepted free of charge from residents of Forsyth County.
||Fluorescent light bulbs (tubes)
||Halogen light bulbs
||Mercury containing thermostats
|Compact fluorescent light bulbs
The following materials will not be accepted at the Enviro-Station.
||PCB contaminated materials