The city's web site is organized by topic of interest with special pages of information about our city, about doing business with the city, public meetings, and services. You can also use the Search box to find pages quickly.
View city council meetings online as they happen or later at any time, day or night, by watching them right on your computer screen.
You can join "My City of WS" and receive e-mail notices of updated web pages and newsletters. See the "Subscribe" button at the bottom of any page.
Register as a member of our website by using the Subscribe button at the bottom of each page. Use the "Start here and register to become a Member" link and fill in your e-mail address, name, password, and other information; this will create an member profile for you; click the REGISTER button. Confirm by the e-mail you will receive. Sign in on the website when you visit, to be able to subscribe to pages and newsletters.
External web site links
The Event Calendar shows city events from all departments. Click on "View all events" to see the entire calendar.
Be sure to look at our special sections for some interesting information!
- "Discover Winston-Salem" and our history, entertainment in the city, and vital statistics.
- "Services" will help you find all the ways you can pay your bills, reserve shelters,look up crash reports, and more --- right from the comfort of your own home!
- "Business" and "Development" will help new businesses get started in Winston-Salem and offer tips and help for established businesses.
- Forms, reports, brochures, and special publications are available in the Forms section.
Navigating the web site.
Across the top of the page, you will see:
- "breadcrumb" links that will take you back to the level above where you are looking
- major section navigation buttons
- a Search box where you can type in a search word or term to find what you are looking for on our site.
When you are looking at a department section, you will see navigation for that department and any events or bids or newsletters or events that are active for that department, in the right-side column.
The Calendar for the city lists all events for all departments (View all events)
Across the bottom of the page are additional links for your convenience.
Some files on the site will require browser "plug-ins" to view them. Use your browser "Back" button to return from viewing these files. If you already have the plug-in, the file will open when you click on it. These plug-in viewers are free downloads that install in only a moment on your computer.
Get the free Adobe Reader Adobe Reader files are .PDF
Get the free Flash PlayerFlash Player files are .SWF
Get the free Quicktime Viewer Quicktime files are .MOV or .QT
(please note that comments submitted on this web site may become pubic record and released to the media)
- When you bookmark pages, use your browser's "rename" to identify it
- Use the Search function at the top to look for particular information; the results will list the page titles with your search term first, followed by pages that contain your search term.
- After you have joined as a MyCityofWS member, sign in when you visit the site and take advantage of the Subscribe links at the bottom of every page to be notified when a page is updated or to be reminded of a city event in advance.
- Links to web sites that are not part of the City of Winston-Salem will open in a new window in your web browser. Close this new window when you are done or just use the button on your task bar to return to the city page you started from. We are not responsible for content in any site outside the City of Winston-Salem web site; we present links for your convenience.
- For a different language, there are many services on the internet that will translate web pages into another language. Do a search for "language translations" in your favorite search engine.
- You can save files to your computer instead of opening them, if you wish. Right-click the file link and choose "Save As" to save it. This might be helpful for large Adobe Acrobat files that might be slow to open in the browser window.
- If you prefer to have Adobe files open in their own window instead of the browser window, open your Adobe Reader program (look in the Start--> Programs menu) and go to the Edit--> Preferences menu item, the the Internet Tab, and uncheck the "Display PDF in browser" option.
Online Web Payments service is available for paying your water/stormwater bill, parking tickets, and renewal of yard-waste cart stickers. We accept Visa, Discover, and Mastercard for payments. You can also use the form supplied on the "Pay Bills" page to arrange for an automatic draft from your bank account.
We hope you find the our web site easy to use and very helpful!
Questions? Comments? Suggestions for the Web Content Coordinator? Please send an e-mailto firstname.lastname@example.org