FIRST-TIME HOMEBUYERS INFORMATION HOTLINE: (336)722-0954
The Citywide Homeownership Assistance Program (C-HAP) offered through the City of Winston-Salem is designed to increase the supply of affordable housing and opportunities for homeownership. In addition, we seek to strengthen and stabilize communities.
The program provides deferred loans to qualified individuals purchasing property within the city limits of Winston-Salem. C-HAP provides assistance for down payment, closing cost, and for principal reduction to increase buyer affordability. It can be used toward pre-paids and discount points or pre-paids and origination fees. It can not, however, be used for buy-downs. Repayment is deferred until the property is sold, ceases to be owner-occupied, or the first mortgage is paid.
- Zero (0%) percent interest loan
- Payments are deferred until the first mortgage (up to 30 years) is paid
- Assistance of up to $12,000, based on income and family size
- Pre-purchase and Post-purchase homebuyer education through www.CenterforHomeownership.org
- First-time homebuyer with no interest in a principal residence within the past three years
- Families with incomes 80% or less of the median income
- Participants must complete pre-purchase and post-purchase homebuyer education program
- The home must be the family's primary residence located within Winston-Salem.
- Maximum purchase price of home is $130,000
- Invest at least $1,000
- Acceptable credit
- Steady employment
- Acceptable debt-to-income ratios
Lender Application Package
C-HAP applications may also be submitted by Lenders. Criteria for Lenders include:
- Offer conforming loans with 1% or less origination fee
- No associated charges, i.e. broker’s fee, etc, for providing the loan
- Market rate interest
- All loans must be a fixed rate for the entire life (30-year max) of the loan
- Inform, educate, and facilitate the application process
Deliver the completed package to Roslyn Lash at Housing/Neighborhood Development, 100 E. First Street, Suite 423 Winston-Salem, NC 27101. Faxes and e-mailed packages will not be accepted.
For homebuyer’s education contact Center for Homeownership at (336) 773-0286 x101.
For questions or additional information call Roslyn Lash at (336)734-1306 or RoslynL@Cityofws.org