City departments and facilities received 25 gold and 11 silver awards in the N.C. Department of Labor’s annual safety awards program. The awards recognized city departments or city facilities with 10 or more employees that achieved and maintained good safety records during 2009, and maintained accurate records for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
To qualify for an annual safety award, a city department or facility must have had no fatalities during the calendar year at the site or location for which the award was given and have maintained an injury and illness rate at least 50 percent below the national average for its particular industry group.
Gold awards are based on the DART rate, a standardized calculation used by OSHA and other regulatory agencies to compare statistically significant data. DART stands for Days Away, Restrictions and Transfers, and is a measure of injury and illness per 200,000 work hours for 100 full-time equivalent employees. It measures days lost as well as days a worker is on restricted duty or transferred to other duties because of an injury or work-related illness.
Silver awards are based on the CDAW rate. CDAW stands for injury and illness Cases with Days Away from Work, but does not include restricted activity.
Jim Lavis, the city’s director of employee safety, said the awards reflect the city’s commitment to safety. “Safety initiatives within city government are supported from the top down,” he said. “We provide our employees with numerous and in-depth safety training opportunities, job safety analysis, and conduct periodic safety inspections of our facilities and job-sites.”
Receiving gold awards
- Property Maintenance, 650 Stadium Drive, Bldg. #12
- Bolton Street Pool and Park, 1590 Bolton St. Black-Phillips-Smith Government Center, 2301 N. Patterson Ave.
- City Hall, 101 N. Main St.
- Historic Bethabara Park, 2147 Bethabara Road
- William Roscoe Anderson Jr. Recreation Center, 2450 Reynolds Park Road
- Polo Park Recreation Center and Pool, 1850 Polo Road
- Winston Lake Golf Course, 3535 Winston Lake Road
- South Fork Recreation Center, 4403 County Club Road
- Fire Station 1, 652 Marshall St.
- Fire Station 2, 405 Somerset Drive
- Fire Station 4, 290 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- Fire Station 6, 1717 W. Academy St.
- Fire Station 8, 2417 Reynolda Road
- Fire Station 9, 4685 Ogburn Ave.
- Fire Station 10, 4700 Country Club Road
- Fire Station 11, 2745 Waughtown St.
- Fire Station 12, 3620 New Walkertown Road
- Fire Station 15, 4548 Shattalon Drive
- Fire Station 16, 1701 Pope Road
- Fire Station 18, 1505 Peacehaven Road
- Fire Station 19, 1105 Old Salem Road
- Fire Station 20, 1305 Rural Hall-Bethania Station Road
- Alexander R. Beaty Public Safety Training and Support Center, 1200 N. Patterson Ave.
- R. W. Neilson Water Treatment Plant, 5725 Frye Bridge Road
Receiving silver awards
- Fairgrounds, 421 W. 27th St.
- Fire Station 3, 2995 N. Liberty St.
- Fire Station 14, 5754 Shattalon Drive
- Fire Station 17, 4295 Old Greensboro Road
- Manson Meads Complex, 2799 Griffith Road
- Elledge Waste Water Treatment Plant, 2801 Griffith Road
- Engineering Field Office, 650 Stadium Dr. Bldg. #40
- Streets Division, 650 Stadium Drive, Bldg. #23
- Traffic Maintenance, 650 Stadium Drive, Bldg. #42
- Department of Neighborhood Services, 100 E. First St. Suite 423
- Miller Park Recreation Center, 400 Leisure Lane