Emergency Management - Jan. 6, 2014
The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Office of Emergency Management is urging Forsyth County residents to be prepared for the extremely cold temperatures and wind chills forecasted for Monday night and Tuesday.
Low temperatures and winds may result in frost bite and lead to hypothermia if precautions are not taken. If you must venture outdoors tonight and Tuesday, make sure to wear several layers of clothing in addition to a hat and gloves. Animals are susceptible to extreme temperatures and winds, as well. Be sure to bring your pets inside for the duration of this weather event.
Other cold weather safety tips:
- Use a fireplace, wood stoves, or other combustion heaters only if they are properly vented to the outside and do not leak flue gas into the indoor air space.
- Never use a charcoal or gas grill indoors—the fumes are deadly.
- Keep an emergency supply kit available in case of power outages.
- Leave all water taps slightly open so they drip continuously.
- Eat well-balanced meals to help you stay warmer.
The Office of Emergency Management is concerned for you and your family’s safety in the occurrence of any hazardous event. It is your responsibility to prepare yourself and your family for any hazard that may strike. For emergency prep information, visit www.ReadyFORSYTH.org and ‘like’ ReadyFORSYTH on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/ReadyFORSYTH.