Transportation Department - May 1, 2014
The Winston-Salem Bicycle & Pedestrian Program is partnering with local businesses and organizations to host a series of events to celebrate Bike Month in May:
- A Cycling Social will be held Monday, May 12, from 5 to 7 p.m. at Krankies Coffee, 211 E. 3rd St. Meet other cyclists from the community in a casual atmosphere and learn more about upcoming bike events.
- Bike Movie Night will be held Tuesday, May 13, at 6 p.m. at Aperture Cinema, 311 W. 4th St. Free admission to see “Pedal-Driven,” a documentary focusing on the conflict between park rangers and bikers who used non-sanctioned mountain bike trails on protected forest land, and how they found common ground.
- Bike for Fitness Day is Thursday, May 15, from 7 to 10 a.m. at the Gateway YWCA, 1300 S. Main St. Get information and advice on bicycling for transportation and health.
- Bike to Downtown Day is Friday, May 16. Refreshments, maps, and information will be available for cyclists from 7 to 9 a.m. at the intersection of Trade and Fourth streets. Group rides from various locations are being organized to allow cyclists to ride downtown together. Locations of the group rides will be posted at DOT.CityofWS.org.
- A Ride of Silence will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 21, at Mock Orange Bikes, 492 West End Blvd. Zach Lail will lead a seven-mile Ride of Silence to honor cyclists who were injured or killed while riding their bikes. Riders should arrive by 6:45 p.m. For more information about the Ride of Silence, visit Ride of Silence website.
Bike Week is sponsored by the Winston-Salem Bicycle & Pedestrian Program, the Gateway YWCA, the Forsyth County Health Department, Mock Orange Bikes, Wake Forest Baptist Health, Krankies Coffee, and the Winston-Salem Sustainability Resource Center. For more information call City Link 311.
Bike routes for the group rides
211 E. 3rd Street, Winston-Salem NC
311 W. 4th Street, Winston-Salem NC
1300 S. Main Street, Winston-Salem NC
492 West End Blvd, Winston-Salem NC