Remember, NO plastic bags in the recycling cart! [video]
The cost of plastic bags - remember, Recycle them! [video]
Will *YOU* make a promise to Rethink Recycling?
Recycle Often. Recycle RightSM (RORR). Come back to the basics of recycling. By increasing the amount of paper, cans, and bottles that go into the recycling cart and decreasing contamination (items that cannot be recycled), we can make a huge difference.
Thank You for Recycling 12,517 Tons in FY 15-16 (July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016)
- Paper Products 7,146 tons
- Plastic Bottles. 1,217 tons
- Glass Jars/Bottles 3,703 tons
- Aluminum/Steel Cans 451 tons
Look up your Rollout Recycling and Garbage collection day by address with the Service Finder
Holiday collection schedule - changes in pick-up days due to holidays
2016 Collection Schedule 1 page [pdf]
2016 Collection Schedule 2 pages [pdf]
Are you Cart Smart?? answer the questions and find out!
Guidelines for using your recycling cart with the automated collection trucks
Learn more about rollout recycling
DID YOU KNOW?
Through RECONNECT, a new electronics recycling program, you can recycle unwanted computers, printers, and monitors. It's easy and free through a Dell, Inc. and Goodwill Industries partnership. Simply take your equipment to any Goodwill store or donation center. All brands and conditions of equipment are accepted.
In addition, depending on the location and quantity of equipment, Goodwill can schedule pickups of commercial donations. For more information, contact Goodwill of Northwest North Carolina at (336) 724-3625, ext. 259, or visit online at Goodwill North Carolina or Reconnect Partnership. It's easy!
It's Illegal to Remove Materials from Recycling CARTS
It is unlawful for any person to remove any recyclable materials from any recycling collection container. The violator of City Code 26-10(k) is subject to a $100 civil penalty, which may be collected by the city as a debt.
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
Do your part to reduce waste in our community by practicing the 3 Rs!
Reduce - to prevent waste before it's created. The best way to reduce trash is to make less trash in the first place!
Reuse - using products over again in their current form for the same purpose or another use. People sometimes mistakenly think that they are recycling something when they are actually reusing it. Think in terms of whether the item can be used beyond its original intent before tossing it in the trash.
Recycle - making something old into something new. Recycling is the process of collecting used materials and manufacturing them into new products. Also, recycling can go beyond what you put into a recycling container. You can recycle grass clippings and food waste by starting a compost bin.
Recycling is a three-way, closed-loop process in which you, the consumer, begin and complete:
- Collection - involves separating good, used materials from general trash and placing them in a curbside recycling bin or taking them to a drop-off center.
- Manufacturing- used materials are processed and made into new products, thus saving raw virgin materials.
- Purchasing (Closing the Loop) - buying products made from recycled materials. Recycled content products must have a market in order for recycling to succeed!
- Available products include appliances, carpet, clothing, jewelry, home furnishings, gardening and yard supplies, office equipment and supplies, packaging and shipping products, furniture, toys and gifts, school supplies, playground equipment, building and construction materials, and many other products.
- Look for and buy products made from post-consumer content. Post-consumer content means that the product contains materials that have served their intended use and have been recycled by consumers or businesses. If you are not buying recycled products, you are not truly recycling!
- Understanding the 3 Rs is one thing, but putting them to work is quite another! The good news is that it only takes a small amount of time and effort in our daily lives to practice them. Waste reduction and recycling are good habits that we all need!