3RC EnviroStation - Household Hazardous Waste

COVID Protocols

Throughout the pandemic, 3RC EnviroStation has modified operations designed to protect both facility personnel and Forsyth County residents dropping off household hazardous waste and electronic waste. Please follow these guidelines:

  • Bring proof of Forsyth County residency (driver's license)
  • Expect longer lines and wait times
  • Each resident must unload their own items
  • Maintain a physical distance of at least six feet from others
  • Masks are optional, but as people may be asymptomatic, customers are welcome to wear their own personal protective equipment (face coverings and gloves) during their visit
  • Properly cover a cough or sneeze
  • If you or someone in your household is sick or in quarantine, continue to store your household hazardous waste at home until everyone is healthy

3RC EnviroStation is open Wednesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. See additional safety tips below and information on waste that is accepted free of charge from Forsyth County residential customers only.

Please note that there is a limit of two televisions per household each year. Cooperation with all guidelines will help protect public health and safety.

For more information, please call City Link 311 or 336-727-8000.

3RC EnviroStation accepts chemical and other household hazardous waste that should not be disposed of in a landfill. It also accepts electronic waste, such as computers and televisions, that are banned from landfills under North Carolina law. See the lists or the linked brochure for waste that could cause environmental damage or contaminate groundwater if disposed of improperly.

Forsyth County residents may drop off e-waste and household hazardous waste (HHW) at the EnviroStation at no charge. Regular trash, recyclables, ammunition, explosives, radioactive and medical/infectious waste is not accepted. This is a free service provided to all Forsyth County residents by the City of Winston-Salem Stormwater Division and Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities department.

Safety Tips

Important safety tips about household hazardous wastes:

  • Never dump household hazardous wastes in storm drains or streams, or flush them down the toilet.
  • Keep waste items in their original containers whenever possible. Do not mix separate waste products.
  • If the container label is unreadable or a material is in a different container from the original, label it, if you know for certain what it is.
  • If you have a material that is not listed below that you wish to bring to the EnviroStation, call first and explain what it is. It may save you an unnecessary trip if it may be disposed of in the regular trash.
  • Before delivering materials to the EnviroStation, place the containers in a cardboard box lined with newspapers. Cushion compact fluorescent light bulbs to ensure that they do not break.
  • When you arrive, an attendant will ask for proof of Forsyth County residency (driver’s license) and ask you to fill out a short form.
  • If you bring waste in a container that you want back, tell the attendant and your request will be accommodated.