Start, Stop or Transfer Service

  • Contact City Link 311 or 336-727-8000
  • Apply online
  • Mail:
    Utilities Customer Service
    Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities
    P.O. Box 2756
    Winston-Salem, NC 27102-2756

Start Water & Wastewater Service

To start water and wastewater service, please provide the following information:

  • $30 service initiation fee will be added to the first bill
  • Address for service and mailing address, if different
  • A copy of your rental agreement (lease), if you rent - if a rental agreement is not available, please complete a Proof of Occupancy form (PDF)
  • Date to start new service
  • If a deposit is assessed based on credit evaluation, it must be paid prior to account set-up
  • If you do not provide a TIN or SSN, you will automatically be required to pay a $150 deposit
  • Name to be used on the account
  • Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Social Security Number (SSN) for credit evaluation

If your request to start new service is received by CityLink prior to 5 p.m, Monday through Friday, we can typically turn the water on the same day. If your request is received after hours, on weekends or holidays, your water will be turned on the next business day.

Bill Definitions and Schedules (PDF)

Water & Wastewater FAQs

Voluntarily Stop Service

To voluntarily stop service, call CityLink. Service will be disconnected within 24 hours, except on weekends and holidays. You must provide a forwarding address for delivery of your final bill.

Transfer Service

To transfer service, call CityLink. Current residential and business customers can usually have service at a new address within 24 hours of a request. Larger businesses and most industrial customers may require more notice.